King

Pairing: AceLu
Level: Yes
Type: Drabbleshot
Category: Hurt/Comfort

----

"Ace, when I become Pirate King, will you be happy for me?" Luffy said one night as he kicked his feet at the edge of the grassy cliff.

Ace chuckled in response and decided to tease, "We don't even know if you'll be the one yet!" 

Upon hearing this Luffy rolled his eyes and pouted, "Hey! What's that even supposed to mean??" He demanded, turning around to his laughing older brother. He watched as Ace took a seat next to him, letting both of his feet hang at the tip of the hill as well, their legs touching slightly.

"You don't need me to tell it to your face, Luffy, I'll be proud." Ace admitted softly, ruffling Luffy's hair with a smile. There was no doubt he would, he was already very proud of him.

Luffy's frown turned into a grin, "Shishishi! Thanks Ace! I'll be proud of you too! We'll both be Pirate Kings!"

Seriously, it was magical to Ace how much Luffy made him laugh and feel happy. "How many Pirate Kings do you even think there can be??" It was probably due to how gullible and innocent the teen was, but it never failed to entertain the older.

Luffy rocked back and forth on his bottom as he raised an eyebrow, "There's a limit?"

"Of course, dumbass! If the title of 'Pirate King' had no limit then anyone can just call themselves that!" Ace had to restrain himself from smacking the younger's head once more. Sometimes he was cute, but sometimes it was too much.

"Well, whoever finds the One Piece is the Pirate King." Luffy shrugged his shoulders, his hands still gripping on the grass. A firefly flew from the space between his fingers and he caught it. 

Ace nodded and made a hand gesture, signifying his point, "Yep, exactly. And you'll be the one to find it." 

"Ace can find it with me!" Luffy exclaimed before Ace could say any more, "Then we'll both be Pirate Kings!"

You know what? He wasn't wrong. And Luffy's expression was beyond adorable. Ace looked up to the sky with a small smile. He was too lost in his adoration for Luffy to care about what really was logical. He wasn't any smarter than Luffy was, so it didn't matter anyway.

"I guess you're right, huh?" Ace agreed before gazing back toward Luffy.

"We'll hold each other's hands when we get there, so it'll surely be at the exact same time!" Luffy continued on, beaming as he took Ace's hand in his. Ace didn't have to hesitate to let their fingers intertwine as he grinned back sincerely.

They let the silence run through for a moment. It wasn't awkward, but rather beautiful. It served as a time to let the words sink in through their bodies and hearts. Luffy squeezed Ace's hand tightly, joy radiating through his eyes as he stared at him.

Ace could feel his beloved's gaze on his skin. He closed his eyes and let the infectious feeling possess him and tug at the corners of his lips, "I know you will definitely get there. Whether or not the world will see two Pirate Kings one day, it doesn't matter to me."

"But in my heart, there will only be one king," Ace smiled, his eyes fluttered open as his other hand delicately brushed the stubborn bangs out of the younger's face. "And that is you, Luffy."

Luffy blinked, he felt his entire head grow warm from the cheesy but sincere statement.

"Nyeh-ick! Ace, you talk like a girl!" Luffy started to snicker, but couldn't help the flattered flush from creeping in through his face. He looked at Ace with his big eyes, sparkling with admiration and love, "And... Ace, you're my king as well." He flashed a giddily crooked smile. Ace returned it and let their foreheads rest together for a moment, his other hand stroking Luffy's messy hair.

"It's on then, the world will have two Pirate Kings," Ace gently caressed the smaller teen's hand, his tone sounding challenge-y.

"Hai! We'll be the first ever!!" Luffy answered with a determined look on his face. Then he paused, "You'll promise to hold my hand like this right? When the time comes?"

"Yes, yes, I'll hold your hand, you big baby." Ace leaned toward Luffy and pressed him a soft kiss,

"When the time comes."

When the time comes.

As the last of his crew returned to the ship with all sorts of valuable they'd found around the island, only Luffy stood at the legendary treasure, asked to be left alone.

He stared at the One Piece, oh how it made him laugh, made him cry, and made him feel so content. But the feelings it made Luffy feel, they were all empty. Although he truly thought that the One Piece was astonishing, he couldn't feel the same way Roger had when he arrived at Raftel.

"I know you're holding my hand right now," Luffy said with a wistful smile before biting in his lip. He gripped at the air tighter.

"But I just wished you could have done it in person...

My king."