15. Progress in the making.

As I stood before the judge, the weight of the courtroom's anticipation pressing down on me, I knew this moment would be pivotal in the case. With a steely resolve, I announced, "Your Honor, I would like to call Mr. Pete Jenkins to the witness stand."

A hush fell over the courtroom as Pete Jenkins, a former employee of Mr. Beaumont, took his place on the stand. I could feel the tension crackling in the air, and I knew that my decision to call him as a witness had caught both Mr. Beaumont and his defense attorney off guard.

Before proceeding, the bailiff approached Pete with a bible, asking him to place his hand on it and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Pete solemnly placed his hand on the bible and swore to tell the truth, his voice unwavering despite the weight of his testimony. With the oath administered, I proceeded with my questioning, knowing that Pete's testimony would be crucial in uncovering the truth.

I smiled inwardly even though I was nervous, the news media was here so I had to work twice as hard so that everyone including my boss could see that I was good.

As I stood before the judge, preparing to question Mr. Pete Jenkins, I knew it was crucial to establish his credibility and background for the jury and everyone present in the courtroom.

"Mr. Jenkins," I began, addressing the witness, "could you please state your full name for the record?"

Pete Jenkins nodded, his expression serious as he replied, "My name is Peter Jenkins."

"And could you tell the court a bit about yourself and your professional background?" I continued, guiding Pete through his testimony.

Pete took a deep breath before responding, "I worked as a hotel strategist for Mr. Beaumont for seven years before resigning three months ago."

I could sense a ripple of interest among the jury and spectators as Pete revealed his connection to Mr. Beaumont and the length of his employment.

It was important for them to understand that Pete was not just a random witness but someone with firsthand knowledge and experience in the workings of Mr. Beaumont's business operations.

"And why did you resign from your position, Mr. Jenkins?" I inquired, leading the witness to explain his departure.

Pete hesitated for a moment before answering, his voice tinged with resignation, "I resigned due to Mr. Beaumont's unethical work practices and his willingness to go to great lengths to achieve his goals, even if it meant compromising on integrity."

As Pete's words resonated through the courtroom, painting a damning picture of Mr. Beaumont's character, I could see the tension mounting in the air. But before I could proceed with my questioning, Mark, Mr. Beaumont's defense attorney, rose from his seat, a look of disdain on his face.

"Objection, Your Honor," Mark interjected, his voice dripping with contempt. "The witness's personal opinions about my client's character are irrelevant and prejudicial to the case."

I maintained my composure as I countered Mark's objection. "Your Honor, the witness's testimony is directly relevant to establish Mr. Beaumont's pattern of behavior and motivations," I argued, my voice firm and resolute. "It goes to the heart of the matter and is crucial for the jury to understand the context of the evidence presented."

The judge deliberated for a moment before ruling in my favor. "Objection overruled," he declared, his voice carrying authority as he turned his attention back to Pete. "You may proceed with your questioning, Attorney Quinn."

"Mr. Jenkins," I began, my voice steady despite the adrenaline coursing through my veins, "you worked as a hotel strategist for Mr. Beaumont, is that correct?"