the honeymoon phase

My breath caught in my throat. My fist was coloured an ugly purple that screamed out in anguish every time I moved it. I had gotten a little carried away in my attack on her father.

But his bitter words? Elsie didn't deserve that.

How could someone so awful create someone as pure as Elsie?

Anger pulsed through me as I contemplated it.

How did she remain so perfect despite the hardships life had thrown at her - and let's be honest, there's no shortage of them.

How could I be so fucking blind to think she was just another slut?

She was so much more.

My eyes traced over her relaxed features. Her head was nestled in my lap and her body flung across the car. gentle snores escaped her throat and brought a smile to my lips.

Her friends and the boys had all followed behind our limousine. Whilst planning, Elsie and I couldn't imagine ourselves alone in Bora Bora together, so we invited everyone else despite my parents' wishes.

Come to think of it now, the concept of being alone in paradise with Elsie sounded nothing short of fucking perfect.

I don't know when I stopped hating her. I don't know when I started caring about her. I don't know when I started craving her warm feathery touch on my skin.

Somewhere in the midst of my hate, my emotions got tangled.

Fuck.

I rely on her presence in the way I rely on oxygen.

She stirs on my lap, tossing and turning her head slightly. I frown.

I wanted to obliterate and destroy the horrors that fed into her dreams, that disturbed her slumber - that brought a frown to her plump lips.

I don't know when or how this happened, but I was fucked.

The way I sought after her could be called an obsession.

I was so irrevocably engrossed in her.

"We're at the airport, sir," the driver mutters, scrambling out of the car to pull open our door. The door slides open and the chilly night air enveloped us.

The driver's eyes linger on Elsie's sleeping figure for a few seconds too long.

"Are the others here yet?" I tsk, holding elsie tighter in my lap.

The driver stutters awkwardly and I roll my eyes.

"Well?" I scoff.

"Y-yeah they're just over there-"

I act on my impulses.

"If you don't take your eyes off her in the next second, you won't have eyes," my tone was soaked in venom.

He pales, nodding vigorously and switching his gaze to meet my blazing one.

At a rapid pace, the driver scuttled off in retreat so I threw myself out of the limousine, cradling Elsie in my arms like my most prized possession.

The private plane towered in front of me in all its glory. It was a Sleek white that reflected the moonbeams against the dark night.

The group of our friends all stand and stare in awe.

"Aren't you guys rich too?" I mutter.

"Yeah," Nick starts, "but this is crazy rich."

Val nods excitedly, practically bouncing on her heels, "pretty please can I sit in the cockpit?"