Chapter Sixteen

Jay felt the relief drain from her the minute she set eyes on her two nephews Joshua and Jacob and realised she had made the right choice. She planned on spending the week having so much fun with them.
Meanwhile Alexia was completely withdrawn, the team could see it and so could Emma.
They had an upcoming game in 6 days against Colombia that they couldn't fall short at. It was their last pre World Cup friendly due to the last game being postponed after the break in.
Alexia spent the week working hard and in her downtime scanning Jays Instagram to see if she had uploaded anything. She didn't want to bother her by texting her but she couldn't stop thinking about the night they spent together or how they had left things.
Alexia refreshed her follow page and saw a weeks worth of photos pop up on Jays Instagram. Her spending time with her nephews and looking surprisingly happy and well, this reassured Alexia.
Alexia knowing Jay was online uploaded a series of photos of her own, her working hard at training and enjoying camp.

'Alexia liked your photo' appeared on Jays screen, she smiled she missed her so much but she needed this break. She clicked on her account to see Alexia had uploaded photos of her own, she immediately liked it and left a comment 'looking good Ale'.
Alexia felt her heart skip a bit at the comment and clutched her phone smiling contently.
Alexia returned the favour and liked Jays comment but didn't comment as she knew her own fans would hound Jay.

The days passed quickly and Jay wanted to surprise the girls by returning the morning of the game against Colombia and watching them. She kissed her nephews goodbye and felt sad to be leaving them, they have grown up so much since she had left but their bond is still very tight.
She got on her plane and drifted off hoping to only wake up when she arrived in Spain.

Its loud in the changing room, Patri is playing reggae-ton and everyone is in their own pre match rituals.
Alexia's phone buzzes 'good luck I'll be watching' Watching? Is she here? The nerves were now unbearable for Alexia she just wanted that whistle to blow so she could go and play football.
The teams are in the tunnel now, Alexia leading her team walking out onto the pitch and turning facing the tunnel getting ready to sing the national anthem.
Alexia's eyes scan the crowd before she's met with a familiar face wearing her match day shirt from the last game. Jay is here!
Alexia feels her stomach drop at her presence and smiles at her while Jay waves and claps the players.
Alexia is now more motivated than ever.

Colombia are a tough team, they don't care this is a friendly they are kicking lumps out of each other. With each foul Alexia finds herself getting sorer. When Bonmati goes down to receive treatment she gathers the players around "they can only kick us to stop scoring, don't hold the ball too long, make the ball do the work. I do not want to see anyone get injured. I need you all for the world cup' everyone nodded their captain was right. Colombia were relying on being physical not trying to win the game themselves but just stop Spain winning it. Bonmati was good to continue but was still feeling the affects.

Ten minutes later after changing their game plan, Jenni scores a through ball from Alexia. Jay applauds the goal, it was fantastic but the timing of the ball played from Alexia was phenomenal. The team celebrate and return back to restart the game.
Mapi swings a ball in from the corner and it's practically heading straight for the keeper, there is confusion in the box and it goes straight in. Mapi scored from a corner, the crowd is pumping the players run over to Mapi who cannot believe her luck. It was a beautiful corner but they did not expect it to go in.
Half time whistle blows and the girls trudge to the changing rooms legs still sore from the late challenges.
The game was far from over and the knew it. Emma knowing it was a physical game told them she would be making subs imminently to protect the players. Alexia understood but didn't want it to be her, she wanted to score in front of Jay.
Second half begins and like before Spain are dominating possession, Bonmati plays a cross field ball to Mariona who is running on to the ball in the penalty area only to get absolutely dropped to the floor. PENALTY! And a red card for the Colombia player the ref had warned her time and time again and this challenge was dangerous and unnecessary.
Alexia grabs the ball, smiles at the keeper and cooly slots it in the top right hand corner without a doubt in the world.
She runs over to the bench, to celebrate with her team before kissing her badge and pointing to Jay who is jumping up and down pointing at her shirt.