Nightmares- 3

Buffy, Giles and I were at the hospital, looking for Laura's, the girl who was attacked, room.

"I think they said room 3016."

"Do you know the girl?"

"To say hi to. Laura's nice enough. You didn't see who attacked her?" Buffy asked me.

"No, it was too dark. I was hoping Laura could tell us. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. If it wasn't for you, we would have been too late to save her." Buffy reassured me, though it didn't make me feel any better.

We walked into Laura's room to see her covered in bruises and cuts. She looked up at us, upset and surprised.

"Hey, Laura."

"Hi."

"I hope we're not intruding, um..." Giles held up a small bunch of flowers that I set down by Laura's bed.

"That's okay. I don't want to be left alone."

"You understand we're anxious to make sure this, this doesn't happen again."

"Can you tell us what happened?"

"I was in the basement. I went down for a smoke. There was... someone there."

"Someone you knew?"

"I've never... seen anything like it."

"It?"

"Can you describe it?" Laura started to get upset, shaking her head and breathing heavily.

"Hey, that's okay." I reassured her. "Don't worry about it."

"Yes, you... you just rest now."

"You know, but..." Buffy started as a nurse walked in. "If you remember anything, you can tell us. Even if it may seem weird."

"She needs her rest now." The nurse told us. We started to leave, but Laura stopped us.

"Lucky nineteen."

"I'm sorry?"

"It's what he said, right before... He said 'lucky nineteen'. That's weird, right?"

"Yes. Yes, it is."

"Feel better."

"Take care." Giles said. I went to leave, before I turned back to Laura, who smiled sadly at me, mouthing 'thank you'. I nodded back at her as I left to catch up with Buffy and Giles.

"Doctor, is she going to be alright?"

"You family?"

"Friends." I corrected.

"She'll recover. She's got a couple of shattered bones, a little internal bleeding... she got off pretty easy."

"Easy?"

"Have you looked up the word lately?"

"Well, the first one's still in a coma."

"First what?" I asked.

"First victim. They found him a week ago." We looked into the room, seeing a little boy lying on a bed. You've got to be kidding me? Why couldn't the Powers That Be show me this kid before he got hurt? "Exact same M.O. as the girl, only he's in worse shape. If he doesn't wake up soon... Somebody's got to stop this guy."

"Somebody will."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------