Nightmares- 4

"Buffy doesn't know this is happening. And given the sort of thing that she tends to dream about, it's imperative that we find her." Giles explained, as we rushed out of the library. I had on a long jacket to cover my claws and glasses to cover my eyes.

 I had on a long jacket to cover my claws and glasses to cover my eyes

"Probably be faster if we split up to look for her."

"Good idea." Giles agreed, grabbing my arm so I would go with him as he knew it wouldn't be safe to leave me on my own in my current state.

"Uh, faster, but not really safer." I heard Willow mutter as we left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After we searched for a while, Giles and I had no luck finding Buffy. We did find Willow and Xander again who were screaming as they ran into us.

"No sign of Buffy?" Giles asked, as Willow and Xander frantically grabbed onto our arms. We looked over their shoulders to see a crazy clown with a knife in his hands. We started running with them. Xander, who had taken the lead, turned back around with an annoyed look. As the clown came racing towards him, Xander punched him in the face, knocking him out.

"You are a lousy clown! Your balloon animals were pathetic! Everyone can make a giraffe!" We ran outside where things didn't seem any better.

"I feel good! I feel liberated!" Xander cheered.

"You seem to be the only one. Things are getting worse. In a few hours reality will fold completely into the realm of nightmares."

"Well, what do we do?"

"The only thing I can think is to try and wake Billy."

"Uh, no, we can't leave without Buffy."

"Agreed, but who knows where she might have gone?"

"Excuse me, when did they put a cemetery in across the street?" Willow asked. We turned to where she was looking and saw a dark graveyard in the middle of the sunny campus.

"And when did they make it night over there?" We wandered over the cemetery carefully.

"Whose nightmare is this?" Xander asked. Giles stopped at a grave labelled 'Buffy Summers 1981-1997 Rest in Peace'.

"It's mine. I've failed... in my duty to protect you. I should have been more... cautious. Taken more time to train you. But you were so gifted. And the evil was so great. I'm sorry..." Giles apologised, as he knelt next to her grave.

"Why... why didn't the Powers show me? Why didn't they let me stop it?" I whispered. My eyes began to well up with tears as I realised this was my nightmare too; being too late to save my friends. Xander wrapped his arm around my shoulders while Willow held my hand. Giles rested his hand on the soil and when he went to pull away a hand shot out and grabbed on to him. We all backed away, with Willow screaming loudly. I pulled Giles away from whatever it was that had him. Suddenly, Buffy was rising from the grave. She brushed the dirt away as we looked at her in shock.