Distant Memory

"So I need to be gay to have an aversion to bullying? Go find something else to do, it's pathetic." Tyrone scoffs.

"Why don't you just shut up?"

"Why don't you? Seriously, how is this benefiting you? Go do something useful in your life."

I can see that Tyrone is slowly getting angrier. Seriously, I wish these guys would just leaves us alone.

"Why would you stand up for someone like Khai? He's such a los-"

"Do you want me to beat you up again?" Tyrone threatens, taking a step forward so he's between me and the bullies now. I glance at them from behind him.

"He doesn't even dare-"

"Cause I'm getting really fucking close to it." Tyrone scoffs again. "Seriously, leave him alone."

Thankfully, they give up and turn around.

I sigh and turn away from everything and everyone. I'm glad they've left me alone now, but I wish I didn't have to worry about that in the first place.

Tyrone places a hand on my shoulder and squeezes it.

"Please ignore them, Khai. You know they're only talking nonsense." He tries to console me. I nod and force a smile.

Tyrone gives a sympathetic smile in return and takes his bag out of the gym locker.

I try not to look when he takes his shirt off, and one would think I wouldn't dare after what the bullies were saying about me, but I can't help but brave a quick glance.

Probably a bad idea, because it's hard to look away. His physique is so... attractive. It kinda just makes me wanna hug him while he's shirtless, maybe hide my face in his scrumptious looking pecs...

Okay I need to stop being so weird. I get dressed as quickly as I can. 

Not quick enough, apparently.

"You're filling out a little, Khai." Tyrone says.

Phew. At least I'm not the only one looking. 

And for him to have noticed a difference, he must've studied me before today...

When I look down at myself, I realize he's right.

"I am!" I exclaim excitedly, and Tyrone chuckles. "I wouldn't even have noticed if you didn't point that out." I add.

The next morning, Tyrone isn't waiting for me by the front of my house like he usually is. Worry settles in me, but I decide to wait.

There's always the possibility he's late. 

That tends to happen to people sometimes.

"I can drive you to school today if you want to wait around, Khai." My mom says as I eagerly peer out the kitchen window. "That way you can see if he shows up, but you'll also still be on time."

I nod.

"I thought we were good. But every time he seems fine, he disappears. I know he's struggling with some stuff but I don't like it when he's so unpredictable." I say dolefully.

My mom just rubs my back.

Tyrone doesn't show, and I enter my math class alone. 

I'm worried about what's going to happen with the three bullies while he's not around.

"Khai, where's Tyrone?" Miss. Porter asks.