Questions and Confessions

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains violence

After showing the two unfortunate souls to the homeless shelter, I'm left on my own again, and I'm stuck between deciding if I should go back home or find something else to do. 

It's been a bit of an eventful night, but still, I'm not tired enough to sleep. 

Maybe I'll head to the park. I know there's one in my neighbourhood somewhere.

After a little bit of wandering, I find what I'm looking for. It's closer to Khai's house, and I'm very tempted to go over and tell him I'm fine and I'm  not purposely ghosting him again. But it's late, and he's probably asleep already. 

I seat myself on one the swings, and after a little bit of just sitting around, I decide to start swinging. I propel myself upwards, and once I gain momentum, I realize just how liberating it is. 

I should do this more often, especially when I'm stressed. Or maybe if I can't sleep or if I want to get away from home, like tonight.

I doubt I'll be able to get my mom out here with how busy and tired she is, but I feel like it would do her good. I guess I'll have to take Khai instead. 

"Hi, Tyrone." I turn around, surprised to see Aimee. 

Where'd she come from?

"What are you doing out here so late?" She asks.

"Just clearing my mind." I reply. I don't know her very well, but she's nice to Khai and that's all that matters. "What about you?"

"Same thing." She replies, sitting down in the mulch. 

I nod, even though she's not looking at me and therefore can't see it.

"So, what's on your mind?" She asks. "Why weren't you at school?"

"I didn't sleep the whole night and passed out right as I was about to get ready. I slept all afternoon, and now I'm not tired." I tell her.

Aimee glances at me and nods.

We wait in silence for a bit before I realize I should probably inquire about her, too.

"What are you clearing your head from?" I ask, staring off into the night.

"Just... stuff. I don't know, I feel weird. What would you do if you liked someone but you couldn't be with them because of who you are?"

I swallow hard, realizing that sounds kind of familiar.

"Uhh... I don't know." I start, knowing my brain won't think of a better response fast enough.

"I wish I could explain it more, but I can't." Aimee sighs, and I can tell it's really bothering her.

"It's okay. Just start with who you like. I mean, you don't have to tell me..."

"That's the thing. I feel like there's two different sides, but in one person. I don't necessarily feel attracted to Scarlette, but I get really sad and jealous when she talks about getting together with someone else. I feel like I'm attracted to guys, but something inside me prefers girls."

"Well, maybe you're bisexual." I say.

Aimee shrugs.

"So, you think you can't be bisexual because of who you are?" I ask, somewhat confused.

"It's complicated, Tyrone. But I really can't explain why."

I slow down a little.

"Look, Aimee, I don't know what's bothering you or why you feel that way, but if you're bisexual, it's part of who you are. So you can't deny that from yourself because of who you are, because it is who you are." I try to console her. "If that makes sense."