Chapter Twenty Six

Alexandria

Jasmine-Brit, it's me... jassy.

Jassy? When she said that, it sent chills through me. That's what I called my sister. But this.. this is not my sister, it can't be. I stayed quiet as I looked and analyzed her. My sister had a birth mark on her cheek.. so does she, in the exact same spot.. our eyes connect and my heart drops. This is..she is my sister. I'm supposed to be happy right now.. but how can I? How can I be happy when this whole time she had me thinking that she was dead?

Jasmine-Britney?

A tear fell from my eye, I let go of Laurent's hand and start backing up.

Laurent-What's wrong

I didn't answer him, I just walked outside for some fresh air. I've missed my dead sister for over twenty years.. blamed myself everyday thinking that I'm at fault for not only my mother but her death as well. I searched for her for years... just for her to be standing there like everything is normal and ok.. in the midst of my breakdown, Laurent came and held me. I want so bad to be happy, but like I said, how can I?

Laurent-Talk to me Alex, what's wrong?

Me-I looked for her damn near everyday for twenty years Laurent. For her to be alive is fucking crazy.. she abandoned me... I didn't give up until literally last year which was even after the fact that I forced myself to believe that she was dead. Even though my father threatened me..some years ago I went to visit him in jail. And I begged him to tell me where she was and why he moved her body. He said that he let her go followed by his devilish ass smile. Him saying that made me really think that she was dead and her body..her remains were just out there. And I'm so mad because I didn't get the closure of knowing for a fact that she was dead. It sounds fucked up, but If I knew that, I could've moved on but I still had the thought in the back of my head that she was out there alive. Which obviously she was...

It's so hard to try to explain how I'm feeling right now. I feel like maybe I wouldn't be so hurt if we didn't make a promise to eachother. Our dad made our childhood horrible, so bad to the point we made an entire escape plan. One day my mother was able to get us from the house for a few hours and we went to Saratoga springs. It was the most beautiful town I've ever seen.. that day we promise that if anything happened to any of us, if one of us had to leave or anything.. that would be our spot to reconnect. I was on the streets of that town day in and day out.. when I got old enough, I worked at a gift shop there. Every single day I hoped that I would see her walking past, or that she would come in. After a two years I had saved up enough money to get me a place but it was in a different city. The same year I moved is when I got that call from my father threatening my life. But I still didn't let that stop me, I changed my name and everything about me in the process of me moving so it would make it harder for him to find me....still, every year I went back to Saratoga and I went back to my home city looking for her.... As I'm crying and venting to Laurent, she comes over to us and so much more hurt came over me.

Jasmine-Brit-

Me-No, no I can't believe you...my sister loved the fuck out of me. She made sure that I was always safe and happy no matter what... she would've made sure that I found her or she found me. But you didn't.. I was out here by myself, hoping and praying that you were ok.. that if you were still alive, you would come save me. At seven years old, I was forced to learn the world on my own. I was forced to go from shelter to shelter.. abusive group home and foster care... but still.. I never gave up looking for you, when I was on that street, I looked until my feet bled. Why Jas? Why didn't you look for me?

Jasmine-Brit I did-

Me-You didn't! We had a spot Jasmine. If anything happened we promised to find eachother at that spot, right? So what happened?