𝟳. 𝗟𝗶𝘁𝘁𝗹𝗲 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗳𝗶𝗱𝗮𝗻𝘁

Chapter Seven: Little Confidant

The sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm golden glow behind the majestic mountains. Cold winds whispered through the air, gently tickling Nehmat and eliciting a smile from her as she sat atop the hill. The wet grass beneath her seemed to cradle her, adding a soothing touch to the serene scene unfolding before her.

Her Android phone blared its Punjabi ringtone loudly, capturing the attention of those nearby. Smiling shyly, Nehmat swiftly picked up her phone. As she unlocked the device, an excited Vamika and Anushka appeared on the other side of the screen.

"Ninii!" an excited Vamika shouted in a baby voice.

"Hello, Vamii," Nehmat cooed, her heart warmed by the genuine excitement reflected on Vamika's face.

"Hi, Baby. How are you? We just called Virat, and he mentioned you were out with some friends. I didn't want to disturb, but this little one couldn't resist," Anushka said, leaning on the kitchen counter.

"Hello, Bhabhi. No problem, I was alone anyway, and I'm always free for my Vamii," Nehmat replied, waving back with a genuine smile.

"Why are you alone? You know it's not safe," Anushka inquired, her eyebrows raised in a mixture of query and concern.

"Oh, chill Bhabhi. One of our friends suddenly had other plans, so we decided to shift the plan to another day. Plus, I'm 24," Nehmat said, pouting slightly.

Anushka maintained a stern expression, her concern evident in her tone. "Regardless of your age, Nehmat, safety is paramount. You should always let someone know when plans change, especially when you're out alone. It's not about age; it's about being responsible."

Nehmat nodded, recognizing the validity of Anushka's admonishment. "I know, Bhabhi. I'll be more careful next time. Promise."

Anushka's expression softened, and she offered a warm smile through the screen. "Good. We just worry about you. Now, tell us what you've been up to lately."

Nehmat sighed, realizing she had little to share on the excitement front. "Well, Bhabhi, work has been keeping me occupied. Same old routine, you know. Nothing particularly thrilling happening lately."

Anushka couldn't hide her disappointment, and she playfully pouted, "Oh, Nehmat, you need to sprinkle a bit of excitement in your life! Work is essential, but you can't let it overshadow everything. You deserve some fun too!"

Nehmat chuckled at Anushka's theatrics. "I know, Bhabhi, I'll try to add a dash of excitement to my routine. Maybe plan something adventurous soon."

Anushka's expression softened, and she reassured Nehmat, "No worries. I'm sure you'll have some fun when your friends are back. Just make sure to strike a balance, okay? Life is too short to be all work and no play."

As Anushka was speaking, Vamika, with her tiny hands, grabbed the phone from its place. She wiggled out of her seat, holding the device carefully, leaving Anushka bewildered.

"Vamii, what are you up to?" Anushka asked, her eyebrows furrowed in amusement as she tried to figure out her daughter's intentions.

Vamika, with a mischievous grin, declared, "I want to have secret talks with Nini!" She wobbled away, attempting to find a quiet corner for her impromptu conversation.

Anushka chuckled as she watched her daughter scamper away, disappearing into her bedroom. The door closed behind Vamika, creating an air of secrecy for her anticipated tête-à-tête with her bua.

"Well, what does my little one want to talk about?" Nehmat chuckled as she observed Vamika quietly settling into a corner, keeping a vigilant eye on the door in case her mom tried to eavesdrop on their conversation.