𝟮𝟯: 𝗧𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝗧𝗼 𝗦𝗵𝗶𝗳𝘁

Chapter Twenty-Three: Time To Shift

"Do you have to really go, Nini?" Vamika asked for the thousandth time as Nehmat packed her bags.

"Yes, darling, I have to. Nini needs to be independent," Nehmat said while putting on a pair of folded clothes.

Vamika started crying, clutching onto the kiwi plushie. "Please don't go, Nini. It'll be so boring without you. Please."

Nehmat paused, looking at Vamika with a mix of affection and concern. "Vamii, I know it's hard, but you'll be okay. Remember, we can still talk every day."

Vamika sniffled, wiping her tears with the sleeve of Nehmat's t-shirt. "But it won't be the same without you here all the time," she murmured, her voice cracking.

Nehmat's heart sank at the sight of Vamika's tears. She wrapped her arms around her, holding her close. "I understand, Vamii. It won't be easy, but you will eventually get used to it."

Vamika buried her face in Nehmat's shoulder, her sobs growing louder. "Please, Nini, don't go," she pleaded, her voice muffled.

Nehmat hugged her tightly, feeling torn between Paaji's choice and Vamika's pain. "I wish I could stay, Vamii, but this is something I have to do. I promise I'll come back whenever I can."

But Vamika wouldn't be consoled. She cried even harder, her grip on Nehmat tightening. "Please don't leave me alone," she sobbed, her words filled with desperation.

Nehmat gently stroked Vamika's hair, trying to soothe her. "I know, Vanii. But Mimi Bua is coming back, and she loves playing with you. It'll be fun, I promise."

Vamika shook her head, her tears flowing unabated. "But she's not as fun as you, Nini," she protested, her voice choked with emotion.

Nehmat felt a pang of guilt, knowing how much Vamika relied on her for companionship. "I know it's hard, sweetheart, but you'll see, Mimi Bua will make you laugh just like I do."

"No, I just want you and only you," Vamika said, hugging Nehmat tight.

Anushka stood in the doorway, a heavy sigh escaping her lips as she watched her daughter cry for her beloved aunt. She felt a twinge of worry, knowing that Vamika's attachment to Nehmat would make her departure even harder. How would she handle Vamika's sadness when Nehmat moved to her rented house today?

As she watched Vamika cry, Anushka couldn't shake the nagging question from her mind. Why did Nehmat have to leave? Both she and Meera could easily stay in the same house; there were enough rooms to accommodate everyone. Nehmat's insistence on independence didn't sit well with her. She wished Nehmat would reconsider, seeing the distress it caused Vamika.

Anushka sat on the bed beside Vamika, gently rubbing her back in a soothing manner. "She is right, Nehmat. Don't go," she whispered, her voice laced with concern and pleading.

Nehmat sighed, her expression conflicted as she looked at Anushka. "Bhabhi, I want to be independent," she explained, her voice soft but resolute. Despite the sadness in her eyes, there was determination in her words.

Anushka's brows furrowed in frustration as she listened to Nehmat's explanation. "Stop lying and tell the truth," she scolded, her tone firm yet tinged with concern.

Nehmat's eyes widened in surprise at the accusation. "Bhabhi, I'm not lying," she protested, her voice tinged with defensiveness. "I really do want to be independent."

Anushka shook her head, her expression stern. "Nehmat, I know you better than anyone. There's something else going on, and I want you to be honest with me."