𝟮𝟰: 𝗕𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗼𝗳 𝗠𝗼𝗼𝗻𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁

Chapter Twenty-Four: Ball of Moonlight

Nehmat stepped out in front of her apartment building as the driver unloaded her bags from the trunk. She turned to thank the driver, saying, "Thank you, bhaiya. Main yahan se manage kar lungi."

"Par Madam ne ghar tak aapko safely chhodne bola tha," the driver replied.

"Koi baat nahi, chinta mat karo. Aap chale jao, main theek hoon," Nehmat reassured him with a smile.

The driver hesitated for a moment, looking unsure. "Kya aap sure hain, madam? Aapko ghar tak chodne mein koi takleef nahi hogi mujhe."

Nehmat nodded, her smile warm. "Haan, shukriya. Aapki fikar ke liye dhanyavaad, par main theek hoon. Aapne pehle bhi bahut madad ki hai."

Reluctantly, the driver nodded back, giving her a small smile. "Theek hai, phir. Agar aapko kuch chahiye ho toh mujhe call kijiye, thik hai?"

"Zaroor, dhanyavaad phir se," Nehmat replied, waving as the driver drove off. She watched the car disappear around the corner before heading inside her building, feeling grateful for the kindness of their driver.

As Nehmat walked into the building, she noticed a few stares directed her way, likely because of her family background. However, no one approached her, sensing it might be awkward to do so. Ignoring the attention, she pressed the lift button and took a moment to observe her surroundings. Although the society she lived in now was ordinary compared to the luxurious lifestyle she had with her brother and sister-in-law, it felt more like home.

Pressing the button for the 15th floor, she waited as the lift ascended. In the meantime, she could hear the sounds of women chatting and children playing, a rare sight compared to her previous residence. When the lift doors opened on her floor, she stepped out only to freeze in her tracks. Standing in front of her door was a tall man wearing glasses, a cap, and a mask, giving off the vibe of a potential thief.

As Nehmat looked around and saw no one else in the vicinity, her heart raced with a mix of fear and determination. The man's back was turned towards her, but she could sense his presence looming ominously. With a gulp, she set her bags down and rolled up her sleeves, preparing herself for what she needed to do.

She cracked her knuckles, trying to steady her nerves, before finally mustering up the courage to take action. Without hesitating any longer, she lunged forward, aiming to take the man by surprise. The element of surprise was on her side as she tackled him with all her might, catching him off guard.

The man let out a loud yelp of surprise as Nehmat's fists made contact with his back. Despite his initial shock, he quickly recovered and tried to defend himself, but Nehmat was relentless. With each punch, she uttered a few choice curses, fueled by adrenaline and the need to protect herself.

Their scuffle attracted attention from nearby residents, and amidst the chaos, the man managed to remove Nehmat's hand from his mouth.

"Damn, Nehmat, it's me," he exclaimed, his voice muffled slightly by the mask he wore.

Nehmat froze, her eyes widening in disbelief as she recognized the familiar voice. She took a step back, her fists still clenched, her mind struggling to process what had just happened. Slowly, she lowered her guard, allowing her adrenaline-fueled instincts to subside.

Realization dawned upon Nehmat as she looked at the man before her, his features becoming clearer beneath the glasses and cap. It was her boyfriend, Shubman.

Her cheeks flushed with embarrassment as she realized her mistake. "Shubman? What... I'm so sorry," she stammered, her voice filled with a mixture of apology and relief.