𝟰𝟬. 𝗞𝗶𝘁𝗰𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗧ê𝘁𝗲-à-𝗧ê𝘁𝗲

Chapter Forty: Kitchen Tête-à-Tête

It was still dark outside as Nehmat set out for a walk, exchanging greetings with her security personnel on night duty. With a torch in hand, she began ascending the slope leading towards the hill. Just a few steps into the darkness, she heard shuffling behind her. Quickly turning around, she aimed the light upwards to locate the source of the sound, only to find Shubman running towards her. Holding the torch to his face, she raised her eyebrows in question.

"You see, being an athlete, you need some exercise, so I decided to walk up the hill," Shubman replied with a smile, letting out a breath. Nehmat rolled her eyes and bit her lip in annoyance, knowing exactly what this man was up to. She started moving forward, and Shubman, seeing no opposition, happily followed her.

The day before, Shubman had asked Evelyn for her timetable. He came to know it began with a walk in the early morning. Hastily waking up at 5:50, which was even later than planned because the alarm was set for 5:30, Shubman attributed his extra sleep to the coolness of the region and the cosy blanket that smelled like Nehmat.

The only sound at six in the morning was the rhythmic beat of their footsteps and Nehmat's soft breaths. Despite her fitness, she found herself huffing softly with each step up the hill. For Shubman, however, this walk was a breeze compared to their rigorous training sessions. Yet, even in this simplicity, the silence punctuated by their steps and Nehmat's gentle breathing held a unique beauty for him, for he was walking alongside Nehmat herself.

Although Shubman could have easily reached the top of the hill in just 15 minutes, Nehmat's slower pace required him to match her steps, making his strides short and deliberate. Yet, he didn't mind at all; if anything, it afforded him a precious opportunity for more personal time with Nehmat, a chance to be close to her in the quietude of the early morning, a moment he cherished deeply.

Five minutes before sunrise, they finally reached the top of the hill. Nehmat, still catching her breath, sat down on the ground, leaning back and locking her arms around her legs as she waited for the sun to crest the horizon. Shubman followed suit, mirroring her posture. He could still hear her gentle huffs as he unzipped his jacket pocket, offering her some water.

Nehmat focused on the approaching sunrise, unzipped her own jacket pocket and retrieved the water, taking a sip. Shubman sighed inwardly; he knew it would take time for her to forgive him completely, but he was prepared to wait.

Both of them waited for the sunrise in silence, the only sounds being the occasional chirping of birds and the gentle rustle of the breeze.

As they waited in silence, the sky gradually transformed from the deep blues of predawn to hues of soft pink and orange. The first hints of light peeked over the horizon, casting a warm glow across the landscape. Wispy clouds painted streaks of gold and crimson, like brushstrokes on a canvas. Slowly, the sun emerged, a fiery orb ascending into the sky, its rays reaching out and enveloping everything in a soft, golden embrace. The world seemed to awaken with the sun, bathed in its gentle light as if welcoming a new day filled with endless possibilities.

Shubman closed his eyes for a moment, feeling the sun's warmth on his face. In that fleeting instant, he silently prayed to the ball of fire in the sky, urging it to burn away the distance that seemed to linger between him and Nehmat. He yearned for their bond to be strengthened, for their souls to be drawn closer together with each ray of sunlight that illuminated the world around them. With a heart full of hope, Shubman wished for the sun's fiery embrace to bridge the gap that seemed to separate them, allowing their connection to shine as brightly as the morning sun itself.

By the time they descended the hill and reached home, everyone else was already gathered for breakfast. The twins were preparing for school, but Vamika remained seated, her gaze fixed on the English breakfast spread before her. Nehmat, in her gentle voice, broke the silence, inquiring, "What's wrong, Vami? Why aren't you eating?"

Vamika paused, swallowing before offering a sheepish smile. "Nini, I was craving something Indian, but it's okay, I'll manage."

Nehmat intervened, halting Vamika. "Wait, tell me what you want. I'll make it for you."

Anushka, holding Nehmat's hand, reassured her, "She'll manage, Nehmat. You don't need to make something else."

But Nehmat persisted, leaning on the table as she asked, "No, no, if she wants something Indian, I'll make it. There's no need to force yourself. Tell me, darling, what do you want?" Her determination to cater to Vamika's craving was evident in her tone and demeanour.

Looking into Nehmat's caring eyes, she finally spoke up, "Well, if you really don't mind, Nini, I was actually craving some homemade dosas with coconut chutney."

Shubman thought for a moment, contemplating if he too could make a request and receive something made by Nehmat's hands. With a slight crackle of his fingers, he spoke in a measured tone, "Can you make aloo paratha too?"

Nehmat turned around, her expression hardened as she shot him a glare. "This isn't a restaurant. If you want something specific, the kitchen and ingredients are there. Make it yourself," she replied sharply.

A hushed silence fell over the room as everyone gulped nervously. Nehmat's anger was something nobody dared to provoke or interrupt.

Nehmat took a brief moment to compose herself, closing her eyes for a second before turning back around with a smile. "I'll be quick," she assured, reaching out to ruffle Vamika's hair. Vamika nodded eagerly, her smile widening as she blew a kiss towards Nehmat, who returned it with equal happiness.

Nehmat made her way to the kitchen, her steps light and brisk. Shubman followed closely behind, his excitement palpable. Spending time with Nehmat was always a welcome prospect for him.

Shubman was handed his ingredients, and as Nehmat moved to the other side of the kitchen to maintain distance, he couldn't help but steal glances at her. With each movement she made, his gaze followed her, captivated by her grace and skill.

As she expertly spread the dosa batter on the griddle, Shubman watched with admiration, marvelling at her precision. Every now and then, he would sneak another glance, unable to resist the urge to admire her.

When Nehmat started preparing the chutney, Shubman's attention shifted to her once again. He watched intently as she ground the coconut and spices, her focused expression highlighting her determination.

Despite being engrossed in his own task of making aloo paratha, Shubman found himself drawn to Nehmat, his eyes continually drifting towards her as he admired her dedication and expertise in the kitchen.

Nehmat swiftly completed her food-making session but Shubman was still flipping his last paratha. She stopped and glanced over at him, watching to see if he needed any assistance. Her concern was only to ensure her kitchen remained tidy.

As Shubman finished and turned off the stove, he found Nehmat's gaze fixed on him. His cheeks had a rosy hue, which caused Nehmat to stifle a gag at his reaction. However, she quickly composed herself, adopting a bored expression as she approached him.

Shubman's heart raced as he wondered what she was up to. When she finally spoke, he looked down at her, feeling nervous and curious. "There's some dough on your face," she said matter-of-factly, causing Shubman to blink in surprise before reaching up to wipe it away, his cheeks burning even brighter.

Nehmat rolled her eyes as she observed Shubman wiping his face everywhere except where the dough was. With an exasperated sigh, she grabbed a cloth and moved closer to him. As she began to wipe the dough off his face, she noticed that there was more than just one spot.

For Shubman, having Nehmat so close made his heart skip a beat. He leaned in slightly, entranced by her proximity. However, Nehmat, feeling irritated by his actions, threw the cloth aside and said sharply, "Muh dho lena apna."