𝟮𝟲. 𝗨𝗻𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗶𝗻 𝗦𝗽𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗿𝘂𝗺

Chapter Twenty-Six: Unity in Spectrum

"Niniiiiiii!" Vamika shouted, launching herself into Nehmat's arms. Despite juggling her backpack and handbag, Nehmat managed to catch Vamika safely, planting kisses on her cheek. She was back on tour, this time heading to the West Indies. Since Vamika had holidays, joining the tour where her Nini would be was a win-win situation. They hugged each other for at least ten minutes without speaking, the time feeling shorter compared to the weeks of separation.

Nehmat's gaze shifted upward, where she saw her bhabhi blowing a kiss to her before joining them in a hug. Then, her gaze shifted again, and she saw them. Hands intertwined, both siblings looked at her. Nehmat scrutinized her, seeing her after years since she left the country for undergraduate studies. Since then, she neither called her nor met her. She looked the same, just a bit more mature. Her soft skin colour matched Virat's, her eyes resembled her mom's, and her nose was like her dad's, with a few freckles scattered around her nose, making her look pretty. Nehmat noticed her glaring at her as Vamika cuddled in her arms.

Being the first ones in the VIP lounge relaxed Nehmat; there wouldn't be any unwanted attention yet since the team was yet to arrive. As for her man, he had left Chandigarh the same night she settled into the house. They had stayed in contact through video calls and texts, making the separation more bearable.

Nehmat just nodded at both siblings before moving to the couch to sit. The team started to arrive, tickets were distributed, and soon everyone was settled on the plane. Sneakily, this time too, she booked her and Shubman's tickets together. However, this time there was no privacy because Vamika just sat on her seat for takeoff. As soon as the aircraft was in the air, she came running back, settling on Nehmat's lap.

Vamika hugged her Nini tightly and then said to Shubman, "Hope you don't mind me here," with a sweet smile on her face, but there was a hint of warning in her tone. Shubman laughed and took the naughty little one into his arms, saying, "Of course not! How could I mind Nehmat's Vamii being here?"

Shubman grinned mischievously at Nehmat. "Hey, Vamika, how about this? Instead of Nini, I'll be your favourite '." He winked at her, clearly teasing Nehmat.

Vamika played along with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. "Hmm, you could be. You've been pretty good lately."

Nehmat pouted, pretending to scold Vanika. "Already changing parties, huh? I see how it is."

Vamika, with a mischievous glint in her eyes, leaned her head on Shubman's chest and teased further, "So what, Nini? He can be my favourite. He has been so good."

Shubman played along, resting his head on Vanika's. "Ohh, Vami, I love you so much."

Nehmat, pouting in mock indignation, pulled Vamika into her arms. "Give me back my niece, you heart stealer!"

Shubman leaned forward, looking into Nehmat's eyes with a mischievous grin. "Well, you agree that I am a heart stealer, don't you?" Nehmat blushed at his playful remark, while Vamika giggled, poking both of their dimples.

"You both are my favourite my dimple duo," Vamika teased, "but you, Gilly, a little less than Nini because Nini is the best." Shubman chuckled, raising an eyebrow. "Oh? And what about Gilly?" he asked, playfully egging Vamika on for her response.

Vamika leaned back, a thoughtful expression on her face as if seriously considering Shubman's question. "Hmm, Gilly," she began, drawing out the nickname, "you're like the cherry on top of the ice cream—sweet, but not as essential as the ice cream itself." She grinned mischievously, knowing her words would provoke a playful response.

Shubman pretended to be offended, placing a hand over his heart dramatically. "Ouch, that hurts, Vamii! I thought I was the whole sundae!"

Shubman bopped Vanika's nose gently, a playful glint in his eyes. "I meant the nickname. Why 'Gilly'?" he asked, curiosity evident in his tone.