𝟵. 𝗚𝗶𝗿𝗹𝘀 𝗜 𝗛𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗞𝗻𝗼𝘄𝗻 𝗕𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲

Chapter Nine: Girls I Have Known Before

The match got cancelled due to the rain, but it didn't dampen the team's spirits. Instead, they decided to have a campfire. Sitting around the fire, they tried to warm up after the cold, windy day. They enjoyed the barbecue and listened to the musician playing on the porch. Despite the disappointment of the cancelled match, the team relaxed and loosened up. Shubman glanced around once more, searching for Nehmat, but she was nowhere to be found. He sighed, unable to comprehend what was going on with her. Earlier that day, she had opened up to him, but then she suddenly ran into the dressing room while he was grappling with his disappointment.

Leaning towards Jaiswal, Shubman asked, "Do you know where Nehmat is?"

"I haven't seen her for hours," Jaiswal replied with a shrug before turning his attention to Jurel.

Shubman then turned to his left, feeling a lump in his throat, before mustering up the courage to ask Virat about his sister. "Paaji, where is Nehmat?"

Virat looked up from his phone, glasses perched on his nose. "Why do you want to know?"

Coughing to control his nerves, Shubmanreplied, "Nothing, just... I mean, she's nowhere to be seen."

Virat nodded, looking back at his phone and scrolling through reels. "She's in her room. She has a cold and fever."

"Okay," Shubman said, nodding, not wanting to press the matter further. However, he was surprised by how cool and nonchalant Viraat seemed about it.

Feeling an inexplicable sense of boredom, Shubman excused himself from the company of his friends and teammates, citing fatigue. He bid them farewell and retreated to his room, feeling a need for solitude. As he walked through the long corridors of the hotel, his mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Nehmat and her sudden departure earlier.

Lost in contemplation, Shubman found himself standing in front of the room adjacent to his own, unknowingly drawn to it. He paused, wondering what had led him there. Was it mere coincidence or was something else pulling at his subconscious? Curiosity piqued, he hesitated, considering whether to knock on the door or simply return to his room.

Shubman finally gave in and knocked on the door. He heard faint, pitter-patter footsteps approaching, echoing through the silent corridor. The door creaked open, revealing Nehmat, huddled in a blanket with a red nose, watery eyes, and shivering from the cold.

Shubman's heart sank at the sight of her obvious discomfort. His concern for Nehmat overpowered any other thoughts that had been swirling in his mind.

"Nehmat, what happened? Why didn't you tell anyone?" Shubman asked, his voice filled with genuine worry as he reached out to gently touch her arm.

Nehmat looked up at him, her expression a mix of vulnerability and relief. "I... I didn't want to bother anyone. I thought I could handle it on my own," she admitted softly, her voice trembling.

"It's okay to feel like a bother when you're ill," he said softly, gently brushing a strand of hair behind Nehmat's ear. She closed her eyes, feeling a sense of comfort wash over her. It was different from the comfort her little Vami provided; that was cute and lovely, but this feeling was like coming home.

"So this is what people meant when they say it feels like coming home in love," she murmured, her eyes welling up with emotion. Shubman quickly withdrew his hands, apologising softly. "Sorry," he muttered. She shook her head gently. "No, it felt good... someone caring."

Shubman bit his lip, contemplating whether he should make the offer. However, when he looked at Nehmat, his heart took over and he spoke without hesitation. "You know cuddles make you warm and give you comfort when ill".