𝟮𝟮. 𝗥𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗔 𝗛𝗼𝘂𝘀𝗲

Chapter Twenty-Two: Rent A House

One year had passed since that moment outside Nehmat's door, but for Shubman, the questions and concerns that had plagued his mind hadn't faded. In fact, they had only grown stronger with time. He found himself often lost in thought, pondering the mysteries surrounding Nehmat and her family.

Despite his best efforts, Shubman hadn't been able to shake off the feeling that there was more to Nehmat's troubles than she let on. He had tried to be there for her, offering support whenever she needed it, but there were moments when he caught glimpses of sadness in her eyes that she quickly masked with a smile.

As Shubman stood in front of the mirror, a grin spread across his face as he buttoned up Nehmat's favourite sea-blue shirt. Who would've thought that a year ago, he'd be celebrating their anniversary? Certainly not him, considering how they started.

Their first encounter was far from smooth. Shubman remembered how Nehmat's incessant questioning grated on his nerves. He couldn't have predicted then that those very questions would lead to endless conversations, late-night talks, and a bond stronger than he ever imagined.

But amidst the anniversary excitement, Shubman couldn't shake the feeling that there were parts of Nehmat's life she kept hidden. It wasn't for lack of trying on his part; he'd offered a listening ear countless times, but there were still layers of her life she hadn't peeled back for him.

As he adjusted the collar of the shirt, Shubman made a silent vow to himself. He would continue supporting Nehmat, regardless of the secrets she held close. After all, love wasn't about knowing every detail; it was about being there, unconditionally, through the highs and lows.

As Shubman pondered over how to make Nehmat's evening special, he couldn't shake off the thought that she valued genuine connection over extravagant gestures. He remembered how she lit up when they shared quiet moments, away from the hustle and bustle of crowded places. So, he decided to forgo the flashy restaurants and opted for a cosy spot by the shore, where they could enjoy each other's company without any distractions.

The restaurant Shubman picked was a real find, tucked away from the usual hustle and bustle. Its cosy, rustic vibes instantly put them at ease. As they stepped inside, the salty tang of the sea breeze greeted them, hinting at the nearby shore. They lucked out with a table in a quiet corner, perfectly positioned for soaking in the sunset's warm hues while enjoying their meal and each other's company.

They were led to a secluded table by the window, offering a picturesque view of the sun setting over the horizon. The gentle breeze carried the salty tang of the sea, heightening their senses and adding to the enchantment of the moment. Nehmat's delighted expression as she took in the scene reaffirmed his decision.

As they savoured their appetizers, Nehmat glanced out the window again, a thoughtful expression on her face.

"Shubman, have you ever wondered what it would be like to live by the sea?" she asked, turning back to him.

He leaned forward, intrigued by her question. "You know, I have. The sound of the waves, the salty breeze... it all feels so peaceful."

Nehmat nodded, her eyes sparkling with curiosity. "I imagine it would be a completely different way of life. No rush, just the rhythm of the tides."

Shubman chuckled softly. "Yeah, maybe we should consider it someday. Just pack up and move to a quaint little coastal town."

As Nehmat leaned over the table, resting her chin on her palm, her eyes softened with a wistful expression. "Yes, maybe when we retire, we can do that. Just escape to our own little world," she mused, her gaze drifting towards the sea.