𝟯𝟱. 𝗠𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗮𝗶 𝗧𝗼 𝗚𝗲𝗻𝗲𝘃𝗮

Chapter Thirty-Five: Mumbai To Geneva

Well, if little Kohli decided to meet her Nini, could anyone stop her? No, never! As soon as she felt in her heart that it was indeed the time they had found Nehmat, she couldn't wait any longer. It was the day after tomorrow, and they were at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, waiting in the VIP lounge. Yes, it was just two days, but after waiting more than three years, these two days felt even longer to Vamika now that she knew where her Nini finally was.

Vamika's heart jumped with excitement when the announcement came: "Flight 602 to Geneva is now ready for boarding."

Jumping to her feet, she almost ran towards the gate, her mum and dad calling out for her to slow down. But she wasn't ready to listen, and it had its consequences. She tripped on her shoelace, bracing herself for the impact that would flatten her nose, but luckily, a firm hold on her t-shirt made her stand straight.

Taking a sigh of relief, she turned around to thank the person, only to find it was Shubman who held her. Her face twisted into disgust, and with a scowl, she muttered, "Thank you."

Shubman nodded at her with narrowed eyes before moving towards the gate. She was ready to confront him, wondering why he was coming with them and why she hadn't been informed. However, a scolding for running on the airport floors and a stern warning from Anushka made her go quiet. "He has the right to come; he was an equal victim in the heartbreak," Anushka reminded her.

Vamika sighed and nodded, even though she didn't agree. She believed, and still did, that if only he had believed Nini, they wouldn't even be going on this trip. And even if they were, it could have been a family holiday. She just nodded because she didn't want more chaos before their meeting.

Getting on the plane, Vamika stood in front of her seat, only to be disappointed as Shubman was going to sit next to her. Turning towards her father, she asked, "Daddy, can you sit in my seat?"

Virat was ready to comply with her request, as he found it hard to deny her anything. But Anushka stopped him. "Vamika, it's your designated seat. You're supposed to sit there. No one will adjust for you," Anushka said firmly. She knew what she was doing. She wanted Shubman and Vamika to sort out their differences. She wanted her uncle and niece to bond again before meeting Nehmat.

Pouting, she huffed and reluctantly sat in her seat, disappointed that it wasn't by the window.

Meanwhile, he gazed out of the window lost in his thoughts. She wanted the seat by the window, but she wasn't ready to talk to him. Yet, she knew she had to before the flight, in case he drifted off to sleep after take-off. Gathering her courage, she turned towards him.

"Excuse me," she called out, but there was no response from him. He thought he was hearing voices due to the many thoughts in his mind. He knew Vamika was sitting next to him, but he was sure she wasn't the one to talk to him, and her calling him would be weird.

"Uncle?" she called out, but there was no response, which irritated her. She hit her little fist against the armrest and called out louder, "SG!" As soon as she called out, he turned around, looking at her with tired eyes. "What?" he asked. He was shocked that she was initiating the conversation but also happy that she did.

Looking out of the window, she asked, not wanting to meet his eyes. She hadn't ever since Nehmat left; she just couldn't do it. Maybe if she saw the sadness in Nehmat's void in his life, she would forgive him, which she didn't want to do. "Can I have the window seat?" Shubman smiled but decided to play along. "I'm sorry, but I would love to have the seat too. Sorry," he said. He could see disbelief in her eyes, and she let out a small whine before folding her arms and turning around, muttering, "Fine."