pt 6

"Alastor? Is my dad with you?"

Lucifer lept back from Alastor at the sound of his daughter's voice. His eyes grew wide, and Alastor looked frozen...like a deer in the headlights, if you will.

"I just want to make sure you're okay! If my dad isn't with you, I'm happy to bring you some soup? Maybe a cup of tea?"

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, " the king whispered, feeling completely out of his element. "Get out of the tub you prick."

"Why am I suddenly a prick?" Alastor shot back, looking genuinely offended, trying to get out of the water without making too much of a sloshing sound.

"You aren't, I'm sorry, I'm just freaking out a little bit-"

The sound of the door unlatching alerted both men, their heads swiveling toward the main room. Alastor, covered in only a towel, looked about ready to pass away. "Alastor? I'm coming in, I'm getting worried-"

"WAIT!" Both men shouted, and the door immediately closed again.

"Oh! Dad, you are in there! Is everything okay?"

"Yes!" Lucifer answered, leaving Alastor to dress and shutting the bathroom door behind him. He ran to the main door and opened it to Charlie's concerned face. "He's fine, totally fine. I'm just taking care of him, he needed some help."

Charlie looked pleased at that. "I'm really happy that you guys are getting along so well. So well, in fact, that you've officially become the butt of a few of Angel's pervy jokes," she said with a giggle, shaking her head at the ridiculousness of it.

"Oh!" Lucifer's eyebrows shot up, a blush flooding his cheeks. "Hopefully I won't have to hear any of them!" He laughed, awkwardly, none of his odd behavior escaping Charlie's notice.

Alastor suddenly appeared at his side, his usual smile plastered expertly across his face as if he hadn't been panicking 30 seconds ago.

"Charlie, my dear! Come to check on me, you sweet girl!" He patted her head, his persona on full blast. Charlie, however, didn't seem her usual self.

She was staring at them with the strangest look on her face.

"Char? Are you okay?" Lucifer checked in, giving her arm a gentle squeeze.

"Well...yeah? But, your hair is soaking wet," she gestured to Alastor, "and dad, the sleeves on your shirt are practically dripping." She didn't outright ask what was going on, but her curiosity was evident.

No one said anything.

"I'm going to bed," Alastor announced, the filter on his voice thick and full of static. He nudged Lucifer out into the hallway. "Goodnight, Morningstars. Lucifer, thank you again." The door shut immediately after.

Lucifer stared at the door, wondering how in the hell he ended up in such a weird situation. Charlie just watched him.

"I..." He didn't really know what to say. That entire exchange had been so powerfully awkward. "I'm sorry, Charlie, that was just as weird for me as it was for you."

His daughter laughed softly, wringing her hands together. She didn't quite meet his eyes when she asked, "You'll always be honest with me, right?"

"Of course!" His stomach turned, unsure of where she was going with this.

She took a deep breath. "Do you think that maybe you have...a tiny crush on Alastor?"

The king should've been able to easily deny the claim. A month ago - hell, a week ago - this would have been an easy question to answer. But now...