ten | gossip

Taken aback, Shuichi stared at his phone for a moment. He was practically bombarded with all of that information in such a short time frame, and he had no idea what to respond with.

Reluctantly, he just left Kokichi on read and turned his phone back off. He didn't necessarily think it'd be an issue anyways, since he'd see him in person again pretty soon either way and they could discuss everything then.

"Who were you texting?" Korekiyo asked, glancing at Shuichi.

Shuichi flinched. He was a bit caught off guard because he was almost certain that everybody was too focused on the movie to notice that he had his phone out, but of course, nothing ever got past Korekiyo. It was kind of creepy..

"Ah, it was nobody.." Shuichi replied, starting to tense up.

Rantaro began to squint. "It was Kokichi, wasn't it?"

"Definitely Kokichi." Kaede nodded in agreement, her speech hindered due to the copious amounts of popcorn stuffed in her mouth.

Shuichi stayed silent for a few moments. "..Guys, am I that predictable? Please be honest."

"Dude, you're so predictable, fortune tellers around the nation want your autograph." Rantaro sighed, ruffling Shuichi's hair. "You tend to tell it all with your body language, it wasn't that hard to figure out you were speaking to him."

Upon hearing that, Shuichi grabbed a pillow and buried his face into it before starting to speak. "We weren't talking about anything important.. he was just thanking me, that's all, okay?"

Clearly suspicious, Korekiyo raised an eyebrow. "If that's the case, why do you seem so embarrassed? Hand me your phone, I want to see."

Shuichi, still reeling from embarrassment, lifted his head up from the pillow. Reluctantly, he unlocked his phone and placed it in Korekiyo's hand. "Don't do anything weird, please.."

"Of course. I would never." Korekiyo stated, finding the conversation with Kokichi and starting to read through it.

He stayed silent for a few moments, staring at the phone with a perplexed expression.

"What is it, Kiyo?" Kaede asked, starting to peek at the phone too. A few seconds later, Rantaro began to look as well.

"..Huh. I'll give it a month before they start kissing. What do you guys bet?" Rantaro questioned.

"Nah, two or three weeks!" Kaede added.

"No, I think a month is plausible. Possibly two." Korekiyo debated.

Shuichi's eyes widened, and in a flash, he snatched the phone from Korekiyo's hands. He gradually began to get red. "What are you talking about?! It isn't like that, we just met!"

Rantaro shook his head. "I don't know, Shu.. he called you a cutie and everything. C'mon."

"I know, I know. I'm sure he didn't mean it like that, though.." Shuichi muttered, covering his face right back up with his hands.

"What, you think he was just kidding? I mean, it's possible, but I kinda doubt it." Kaede shrugged. "You are a very pretty boy, Shuichi. You have longer eyelashes than most girls I know."

"Thank you, Kaede, but I think I'd like to change the topic now.." Shuichi said, still very embarrassed.

"Okay, okay, we're done pestering you.. wanna play Mario Kart? That movie kinda sucked." Rantaro offered, trying to switch the topic.

"Ooh, yeah! Don't get your hopes up though, I'm definitely winning this time!" Kaede declared, nudging Korekiyo on the shoulder, who typically always won.

"You always say that right before you come in last place. I'll believe it when I see it." Korekiyo stated, unconvinced.

With that, the four of them ended up playing together. After a few rounds, time passed rather quickly, and it was time for everybody to go home for the night. Shuichi was extremely tired from all of today's events, so it didn't take him long at all to fall asleep once he was alone.

The rest of the week followed out pretty smoothly. Kokichi spent a lot of his time with Shuichi, and didn't get into too much trouble. What Shuichi was most concerned about, though, was Friday. It was the day that Maki was finally allowed to come back, and it arrived fast.

When he made it to school that morning, the first thing that he started to do was search for her. It was important to get her alone so that they could have a heart to heart conversation, and since there were only a few more minutes before class started, he had to hurry.

He immediately checked the library. If she wasn't with her friends, that's usually where she was.

Shuichi softly opened up the door and walked inside. He glanced around, and immediately, he spotted Maki. She was sitting alone, seemingly immersed in a book. Hoping not to disturb her too much, he walked over to the table that she was seated at and sat next to her.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, Maki. Can we talk?" He requested, his voice sheepish.

She nodded, closing her book. "I don't mind. It's about the other day, right?"

"Yeah.. are you okay? You didn't talk to everyone much after it happened, we were all worried about you."

"I'm fine now, don't worry. Although, you are friends with that weirdo now, right?"

"Kokichi? That's right, I am.. will it be a problem or anything? I don't want to do something that's going to hurt you."

She remained silent for a moment, and after a few seconds passed, she began to look Shuichi dead in the eyes.

"Listen. I'm not going to dictate who your friends are, and I won't be mad at you if you're with him, alright? Just don't keep him around me." She stated, clutching the book tighter in her grasp.

Shuichi still wasn't convinced. "Maki, are you sure? You seem angry just thinking about him."

Maki sighed heavily, nodding her head. "Shuichi, I'm sure. You're the smartest boy I know, so I'm trusting that you're making the correct choice here. But if he does end up hurting anyone else, whether it be you, Kaito, Kaede, Rantaro, or Korekiyo, I'm going to slit his throat. That's not a threat, that's a promise. You can make sure he knows that."

Shuichi gulped. Maki sounded dramatic, but he knew that she was dead serious, and that's the horrifying part about all this. "Right.. but he's not a threat, I promise. I don't think he'd hurt anybody on purpose if he didn't have to."

"Then, for now, I'm trusting your word."

"Thank you, Maki."

"It's whatever. Let's just hurry up and get to class before we're late, okay?"