twenty-three | pace

The faint sound of Kokichi rummaging around in his bag could be heard, leaving Shuichi's curiosity piqued as he tried his best to be patient and keep his eyes closed.

Then, he heard Kokichi swiftly shuffle around behind him, and after a few seconds...

"Okay! You can open 'em now," Kokichi said, scampering his way back in front of Shuichi.

Shuichi obliged and opened his eyes. He could now feel something around his neck, so inquisitively, he glanced down. Hanging, there was a shiny silver necklace with a bird pendant on it. It seemed to be in a flying position, having it's wings spread.

Shuichi softly gasped, picking it up and starting to examine it. "You... got this for me?"

It was subtle, but Kokichi looked visibly relieved that Shuichi liked it.

"Yup! I saw this yesterday, and it made me think of you... cuz, if I remember correctly, birds are your favorite animal, aren't they?"

"That's right. I remember telling you, but I didn't expect you to memorize something like that... thank you, Kokichi. Really." Shuichi blushed, now nervously fidgeting with the necklace.

He began to gaze off elsewhere, deliberately avoiding eye contact with Kokichi. It's not that he wanted to, but he was far too flustered right now, and he felt like looking at him would make it even worse. Even the tiniest of gestures meant so much to him, it wasn't something that he was used to yet.

Kokichi, of course, caught onto that rather quickly and took it as a challenge. He slyly walked up to Shuichi, gently gripped his face, and kinda just... made him make eye contact.

...This was probably a little bit too much, especially considering they were still in a school environment, but they weren't exactly taking that into consideration right now. Their minds were entirely elsewhere, like they were in their own little world.

"My eyes are right here, y'know? Don't avoid them." Kokichi playfully huffed, furrowing his eyebrows. "Buuuut, you're very welcome! I got one for myself too, so now we're matching necklaces and there's nothing you can do about it, 'kay?" He smiled.

Now, Shuichi's brain was just glitching. He didn't know whether to move or stay, he didn't know what to respond with, either. Everything in his system was just coming to a halt.

"I- um- right, that's fine, okay... how about we uh, go to class now? Please?" He stuttered, cringing so hard at himself on the inside. He didn't know what he was doing anymore.

Kokichi, successfully making Shuichi flustered like he wanted, let go of his face. "Yup! C'mon," he said, gripping his hand and dragging him off to class.

It left everyone who just witnessed that completely dumbfounded.

Especially Maki.