🌾An Eternity to Ponder about

11th July, 2004.

I watched the starry sky as I leaned on the railing of the balcony, I sighed as I took another puff of my cigarette, I watched as the smoke rose higher and eventually disappeared. It was around 2AM right now, it was way too hot for me to sleep. The wind caused a slightly colder breeze which definitely cooled me down a bit. My thoughts were in knots, it's only been a few days since me and Zander got together and yet I can't help but think of so many things to do. I thought about us moving in together, but..would it be too soon? What would he think? I'd love to move in with him, we could have our own nice apartment with hopefully a cat, and eventually in the future, we could maybe start our own family. Being married, and having our own house. That sounds like everything I've ever wanted.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps approaching the balcony. "Luke?" Zander said, his voice raspy as I assumed he had just woken up. I turned around and saw him tiredly leaning on the side of the door, he was wearing one of my flannels. It was completely unbuttoned, he was shirtless. His hair was messy and his eyes were narrowed, I loved seeing him like that. "Oh, hey." I smiled. I was hoping I didn't wake him somehow. "Why are you up so late? Is something the matter?" He asked. I nervously looked around knowing the reason was stupid. "I just..couldn't sleep because of how hot it is tonight." I lied as I put out my cigarette in the ashtray near me. He sighed and walked over to me, he wrapped his arms around my waist and leaned his head on my shoulder. His hands instantly cooled me down, no matter what the season or the temperature was, his hands were always cold. "I know you're lying. Tell me, what's on your mind?" He asked. I could feel his soft breaths against my neck, I smiled. "It's kind of stupid.."

"Come on, tell me already.." he pleaded as he softly kissed my neck. "Just go back to sleep, it's really stupid." I admitted shyly. He cocked a brow, "Well if it has you thinking this late at night, I'm sure it's not." He smiled. I sighed, "I guess you're right." He looked up at me and urged me to continue. "I've been thinking, I know this might be very sudden but.." I scratched the back of my neck as my cheeks turned red. "What if we move in together when we come back from Haiti?" I asked hesitantly as those same butterflies appeared in my stomach again. His eyes widened as he stared at me for a moment, "Move in together..?" He asked, looking flustered. I nodded timidly as I waited on his response. "I would love to!" He exclaimed happily as he embraced me in a hug, almost knocking me over. That was such a relief. For a moment, I thought he was going to disagree. "Really!?" I asked, "Yes!" He replied. I kissed his head as I chuckled, "I thought you were going to say it's too soon, I'm relieved." I joked. "Not that it would be bad or anything! We don't have to move in so soon if you don't want to-" - "I think the timing is perfect." He started, he took a hold of both of my hands and leaned in, planting a kiss on my lips. "I'm sure we've already gotten used to living with each other at this point." He laughed.

I looked down at his left hand, the cut was still healing, I changed the gauze just yesterday again. "How are you holding up?" I asked as I gently took his hand into mine and brought it up to my lips, softly planting a kiss on it. He smiled, "Better, much better." He answered. I cupped his face with both my hands and kissed his forehead. "I can't believe this trip is already going to be over soon, these past few days have been amazing." I whispered. It was true, aside from the previous stressful days, the recent ones have been wonderful. It's been quiet, we were able to explore cities around us, go for a swim, get drinks at the bar, go clubbing, and fall more in love with each other if that was even possible. "The time went by so fast.." he chuckled, "I enjoyed every single day here with you nonetheless." I smiled, he leaned in and kissed me, I kissed back. "I'm hoping you'll continue to enjoy every other day with me, even when we're back in New York." I teased as I smirked, "Of course I will. Especially when we move in." He cooed, "I can't imagine how fun that'll be." He added as he placed his hands around my waist and got closer to me, resting his head on my shoulder.