thirty-two.

the next day, evie was wearing a pair of cargo pants with a black top and a white cardigan over the top. she walked hand in hand with malakai into school as they went to the courtyard for the bake sale.

"you bake?" malakai asked and evie nodded, looking at the little cupcakes with her name on a placard next to them

"who will be hartley highs new school captain? drumroll please." as everyone drumrolled on their legs quinnie was then announced as the school captain.

"food fight!" spider yelled and everyone was around the courtyard with cake all over them, evie felt someone throw a cupcake at her and she turned to see spider with a mischievous smile on his face. "can we talk later?" he shouted and evie put a thumb up before throwing a cupcake at him.

evie ran through the courtyard and found malakai shoving cake into missy's face and evie grabbed malakai. she put her hands on his cheeks before shoving a cupcake into his mouth.

"you like?" she asked and malakai nodded, wiping some frosting onto evie's nose as she snorted at him, licking some off of his cheek.

after the food fight was finished, evie was waiting for spider in the girls changing rooms since she decided to change her cargos into some low waisted jeans and took off her cardigan. it was always smart putting extra clothes in her locker.

"hey pear." spider greeted, sitting down next to evie who was opening a can of coke. "i need girl advice." he requested and evie crossed her legs awaiting the knowledge eagerly.

"go right ahead bug boy." evie said, taking a sip of her drink and fishing out a sandwich from her bag, passing half to spider.

"so i've been sleeping with this girl right—"

"who?" evie asked, taking a bite of the sandwich swiftly after.

"missy." the blonde gasped, choking on her sandwich as she violently coughed, spider laughed and patted evie on the back, a piece of ham and bread flying across the floor. "that's fucking gross." spider pointed out.

"fuck you. but what do you need advice about? are you only asking me because i used to date missy. seriously." evie crossed her arms and she noticed spider didn't even look at her boobs like he used to. progress. "shit you really like her ay?"

"no this isn't because you dated missy.." he trailed off. "it's because you're my only girl mate." the blonde admitted to evie who's heart melted a bit. "and yeah. i really do. but she told sasha and then told me she basically doesn't want anything to do with me because i was dropping out of the election." he explained.

"did you tell missy you were dropping out for her?" evie asked and spider nodded, evie facepalming. "apologise and go and ask her to formal." the blonde instructed.

"yeah? you think it'll work?" he asked and evie shrugged. "what do you mean," spider copied evie's shrug. "it's supposed to work!" he exclaimed.

"spider listen." evie begun. "missy is proud, you know it and i know it, she doesn't like gestures. just apologise to her. i've gotta go pick out formal dresses, bye bug boy,"

that night, evie was walking up and down the stairs in different dresses, letting jessica and mike pick for her. "i like this one the best." evie admitted, it was a sage green dress. "malakai's favourite colour is green so... i think this one."

the door knocked suddenly and evie looked through the window to see malakai standing. "shit! dad you need to go open the door and tell him i'll be down in a second he can't see my dress!" evie ran through the house up the stairs and made it to her room just as mike opened the door.

"yeah just go on up mate." mike said and evie froze, arm still stuck in her dress as she kicked off her heels and ripped her arm out of the dress, throwing it in the closet and putting on an oversized shirt just as malakai walked in.

"hi." evie said, face flushed as she turned to face malakai who looked guilty about something. "what's up?" she approached him, wrapping her arms around his neck and tilting her chin up to give him a kiss.

"hey we uh.. we need to talk." he pecked evie on the lips and the two of them sat on the bed, evie with her back to the headboard and malakai in front with his legs crossed.

"what's up?" evie asked, opening a pack of timtams and offering malakai one.

he shook his head and evie just shrugged and took a bite out of one. "so uh, my mum got a new job." he said and evie's eyes lit up.

"no shit well done to her!" she smiled and took a sip of her water. "why do you look so sad about it?" the blonde cocked her head.

"it's in switzerland..." he trailed off. "and dads work contract ends this month." he looked down into his lap and evie felt her heart drop.

"you're leaving?" she asked softly. "malakai you're leaving? what? what the fuck?" evie put her hands on her face. "um.. you could move in here? dad will let you stay we can just share the bed and um... your parents won't mind will they?" evie got off of the bed and looked in her closet, shoving all of the clothes aside. "yeah and we can put your clothes here and.. and i can clean the cabinets so you can put some more stuff in there—"

malakai stood up, gently cupping evie's face and she looked up at him with vulnerable eyes. "i have to go eves." he said softly and evie felt tears well up in her eyes.

"no.. please." evie asked vulnerably. "please malakai. you can't leave me."

"i'm sorry." he said and evie sniffled softly, malakai pulling him into her chest. "i'm so sorry." he kissed the top of evie's head.

"when?" she asked quietly.

"tomorrow. after formal."