~CHAPTER 57~

~Elsa~

After Maui and Flynn had left, Rapunzel had started a group dance, and Anna helped marvelously in bringing in participants. She and Jack begged me to dance, but the singing from earlier already took a lot of my social energy. I'm not sure I could have kept up with the joyous dance they were doing. I'm not much of a dancer anyway, but if I had to dance, I prefer doing slow dances.

Merida was the only one who stayed behind with me, and while I did enjoy seeing everyone dancing and having a great time, there was part of me that still felt bad about lying to her about not knowing of Astrid's feelings for Hiccup. Merida can be scary, and while I know the right thing to do would be to tell her the truth–that I did know–I'm second guessing my morals. I don't want her to be mad at me, and while Merida certainly isn't the type to start drama, being in her bad graces still isn't a good idea. Plus, I know Astrid wouldn't flat out tell her that I knew. That puts Astrid in trouble too for not telling Merida first.

I know I'm overthinking and I know that the real best thing to do to not upset anyone is to simply not tell her. Besides, it's actually the very least of my worries. Number one is the note on the flowers Mr. Black gave me. I'm currently looking at the photo of the first note I had gotten with the white roses when I was at the hospital. It's identical to Mr. Black's handwriting on the note he left with the newer flowers.

I know I said I wouldn't worry about it tonight, but ever since he's been in this room, I feel like his eyes are on me. I feel like I'm constantly being watched by him. And I'm accusing him because every time I turn my head in the direction I feel I'm being stared at, there he is. But every time I look at him, he's not looking at me. Either a) he has fast reflexes and turns away or b) I'm losing my mind and am becoming paranoid because of the similar handwriting.

I'm just glad I didn't make eye contact when I was singing. I probably would have ruined the song with my discomfort and embarrassed myself. Jack was right when he said I wasn't obligated to do it, but I didn't want to come off as rude; I really don't want any complications tonight. Plus, it really was super fun to sing with my sister and cousin. It's unfortunate that it was his idea though.

Luckily, for Rapunzel at least, the dancing was all her idea. Hers and Anna's. I feel bad for not joining, but I'd rather not embarrass myself like how Flynn is. He wasn't here when Rapunzel and Anna were giving our friends and guests the basics of the moves. So now he's trying to learn while being in the middle of it. Poor Flynn. Maui had thrown him in there like a mother bird throwing her baby bird out of the nest so it could learn to fly. And then Jack grabbed a hold of him and officially made him part of the crowd.

He got the hang of it though, and my goodness was Merida having the time of her life watching him. "The wee baby," she had said as she recorded him on her phone. Her joy made me curious on if she's still dreading the idea of her cousin and best friend being together. I would have thought she would still be sulking, especially since they're not back yet.

Maui eventually finds us, and the tree of us watched our friends dance like they were in a movie. The dance finally came to an end, and when our friends came back to us, Merida was the first to say something.

"Oi, Flynn, that was the most hilarious thing I have ever seen," she goes into a set of unladylike giggles.

Flynn rolls his eyes and crosses his arms. "Oh yeah, as if you could have done any better. That's why you weren't out there. Cuz you know you can't dance."

Merida snorts. "Oh I know I can't dance, I won't even deny that. Nice try trying to insult me though. Twas a cute effort." She winks and he's appalled.

"Brat," Flynn mumbles, loud enough for her to hear, and she playfully sticks out her tongue.

"That was so thrilling though!" Anna says, happily. "I was expecting you to struggle more, too, Kristoff." She nudges him and he chuckles.