She Promised

Our faces are everywhere. On every screen we walk past. Gale, Katniss, and I walk through a tiny alleyway and into the crowd of capitol residents. The speakers repeat the same instructions over and over. No one pays the three of us any attention as we walk through the crowd.

As we get closer, we realize peacekeepers are pulling hoods off people. Probably to make sure we can't get in. Without a word we turn around and walk in the other direction but there are more peacekeepers moving our way.

We turn around and walk towards Snow's mansion again. We keep walking until I can feel a hand on my shoulder. Before i can turn around there is an explosion. We fall to the ground as people start shouting. Peacekeepers are being shot by rebels and rebels are being shot by peacekeepers.

"Come on!" Gale pulls Katniss by the jacket and i get up with them. We start running through the crowds of people and peacekeepers. As another bomb goes off, we jump behind a wall to avoid being shot. Gale grabs a gun from a wounded peacekeeper and motions for us to follow him.

We jump over another wall and run as bombs go off and buildings come crashing down behind us. We take cover behind a truck, but an explosion flips it over and we have to move out of the way. Katniss and I end up on the same side but Gale is on the other side so we can just barely see him through the flames being taken by peacekeepers.

Katniss grabs her bow and i take out my trident pressing a button making it extend. Katniss raises her bow and Gale shouts at her telling her to shoot him. Peacekeepers shove him into a truck and Katniss lowers her bow.

Another explosion. We duck behind the truck again. I sit there trying to catch my breath but before i can Katniss stands up and runs. "Katniss!" I quickly follow her as she runs into the crowd of remaining capitol residents.

Katniss climbs onto a truck, and I do the same. At the front of the crowd parents pass their children forward to the peacekeepers. Over the speakers a male voice announces that the gates will open momentarily.

Above us a hovercraft makes its way across the sky dropping little containers attached to parachutes. They look exactly like sponsors you'd get in The Games. But I know better than that. The capitol residents think they are getting gifts. But they aren't.

As soon as the sponsors reach the hands of the residents they explode. Katniss and I are thrown off the truck we land on the ground. Dust from the explosion surrounds us. Katniss stands up and makes her way towards the gates.

I stay behind and look around for my trident, but it's gone. I stand up and look around. Medics from district 13 are running in to help injured residents. Medics. I watch Katniss walk towards her sister. To the left of Prim, I see Lilly helping an injured child. She promised. I made her promise not to volunteer to come if Coin asked.