I Hope He Knows

Stepping back into the palace was the hardest thing I've ever done. I remember my first time in the palace. About a year after I won. You'd think The Games were the most stressful time in my life, but that party was the worst.

Too many people in one place. But now I'm back and the halls are silent. No one is there. At least not that I can see. But what do I see? I stay in my room all day every day. There's no way I can leave. It's a miracle that i can even get out of bed.

First my parents, then one of my closest friends, and now my sister. I don't talk about my Games much but when I do the subject revolves around one person. My district partner. My best friend. Just thinking about him makes me want to kill Snow and anyone who had anything to do with this.

But for now, that isn't up to me. Snow is certain to die but not at my hands. The opportunity will go to Katniss. We all know it. And every day I sit in my room thinking about it. I stare out the window thinking about how when Snow dies Coin will take over. It's like they're the same person. Yet no one can see it.

No one other than me. And of course, my brother. He had his own room, so I never saw him. I assume he does the same thing as I. Sits in his room doing nothing. Thank goodness food is served to us because if it weren't I'd be starving. And if Cason is doing the same thing I am then so would he.

Outside my window I stare at a greenhouse covered in snow. It's funny because that is exactly who's in there. Snow. Just the word made me shiver. For a while I blamed Snow for my sister's death. But then Katniss visited my room.

She told me that it wasn't Snow who sent out the bombs. It was Coin. I had a tough time believing it, but it made sense. Snow wouldn't aim to kill capitol children. It couldn't have been him. That also means that Coin is at fault for the death of Lilly.

-

In a room full of victors, I never thought I'd be this uncomfortable. I would say Finnick and Annie were the only ones making it better but surprisingly enough they weren't. As soon as I stepped into the room the first person I took notice of was Peeta.

I stood in between him and Annie, and we waited for Katniss to enter. The doors opened and in stepped a confused Katniss. "What's this?" She stood at the door as she stared at Coin. "The remaining victors. Won't you join us?" Katniss hesitated but walked to a seat. We all sat down at the same time, and I stared daggers at Coin while we waited for her to speak.

"I have invited you all here for several reasons but first I have an announcement. I have taken the burden and the honor of declaring myself Interim President of Panem." Haymitch scoffs. "Interim? Exactly how long is that interim?" Coin shook her head. "We have no way of knowing for certain. But it's clear that the people are far too emotional right now to make a rational decision."

"We'll plan an election when the time is right. But I have called you here for a far more important vote. A symbolic vote. This afternoon we will execute Snow. Hundreds of his accomplices also await their deaths. Capitol officials, peacekeepers, Torturers, Game makers. But the danger is once we begin the rebels will not stop calling for retribution. Thirst for blood is a difficult urge to satisfy. So, I offer an alternative plan. The proposal is this. In lieu of these barbaric executions we hold a symbolic Hunger Games."

Silence. Dead silence until Johanna starts laughing. "You wanna have another Hunger Games with the capitol's Children?" "You're joking?" Peeta sits up in his seat. "Not in the slightest." I shake my head. "So, you're just gonna make innocent children go through something they aren't built for? At least we were aware of the Games, but these kids got to watch their parents bet money on who would win."

"Is this Plutarch's idea?" Haymitch questions. "It was mine. It balances the need for revenge with the least loss of human life. You may cast your votes." "No." Peeta answers immediately. "No obviously not. This is crazy."

"I think it's more than fair. Snow's got a granddaughter. I say yes." Johanna says. "So do I. Let them have a taste of it." Enobaria adds. "You guys, this way of thinking is what started these uprisings." I sit up in my seat. "Yeah, Peeta's right this is wrong in so many different ways. I vote no." "Me too" Annie says quietly.

"No. We need to stop viewing each other as enemies." Beetee says in a stern voice. "It's down to Katniss, Haymitch, and Finnick." "I get to kill Snow." "I expected no less of you." "Then i vote yes. For Prim." I lean back in my chair and let out a sigh just quiet enough so no one except for Annie and Peeta can hear.

Under the table Peeta's hand grabs mine. I close my eyes at the feeling of his hand in mine. "I'm with the Mockingjay." Haymitch says. It's down to Finnick. "I am too. I'm with Katniss." I open my eyes. And stare at him blankly. Why would he vote yes? "That carries the vote. Excellent. We'll announce the games tonight after the execution."

I hope Finnick knows what he might have just done. I hope he knows. 

A/N: So sorry that chapters haven't been coming out as often! We hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading! (Hope it was good. This chapter was kind of rushed.)