Alive And Well

Things had calmed down after some time and I finally got some sleep on the top bunk with Lilly. When I woke up Katniss and Finnick were talking but I didn't pay much attention. I just assumed they were talking about Annie and Peeta.

When Katniss went back to her bunk I started talking to Finnick. Maybe after an hour of talking Boggs came up to us and asked me to Follow him. I did as he asked, and we went to wake up a sleeping Katniss so she could come as well.

He took us to what looked like a control room and as soon as we entered Coin spoke. "We took their best shot. Didn't we?" Katniss and I nodded. Coin asked us how our families were to which we both responded that they were ok.

"I need you to do something for us. I need you to tell Panem that we survived an attack by the capitol with no casualties. And we remain fully operational." Again we both nodded. "You should know something. We had eight extra minutes of civilian evacuation because of Peeta's warning. I wont forget that."

It's a good thing she wouldn't forget it because I'm sure that if he hadn't warned us yet we somehow survived Coin would treat him like garbage when he is rescued. "Thank you." Katniss said. I just nodded one last time before walking out. I don't like talking to her so whenever I have a chance to be far from her, I take it.

-

As we went up the stairs Effie reminded Katniss off what to say. Katniss totally ignored her which made Effie a bit annoyed but who really cares? Maybe it's just because I haven't known her for long, but Effie is a bit too much for me. I don't know how to explain it. Maybe it's also because my escort doesn't act as much as a capitol person as Effie so I'm not used to it.

Now that I think about it I haven't seen the district 4 escort in 13. It makes me think. Is she in the capitol? Or did she somehow end up in district 4 when the capitol bombed it? I didn't have time to worry about that right now.

When we got out of the staircase and made it to the rubble outside the first thing I noticed was how destroyed it was. No bones or dead bodies but just a lot of stone pieces everywhere. There was water coming out of loose pipes and holes in the rocks surrounding us.

Then I noticed the roses. White roses in the center of it all. The smell was strong to the point where I wanted to throw up right there. I saw Katniss pick one up slowly. "Why would they drop these?" Gale questioned. I saw the realization on Katniss' face and not long after it hit me too.

They'll kill him. They'll keep going until they kill him. And they could do the same to my brother. They could do the exact same thing to Cason. "Ready to go Katniss?" Cressida said. "We're gonna do this just like district 8. Tell me about the roses. Tell Snow 13 is alive and well."

I saw Katniss mutter the same words I was thinking. Cressida told her to speak up and repeated what Katniss had to say. Katniss kept speaking my thoughts as Cressida attempted to get her to speak. Gale tried to reassure her but it was no use. Cressida kept pushing when Katniss was clearly unable to do it. She even said she couldn't do it.