chapter thirty-three

ALYRA HAD both of her arms wrapped around harry's one arm, hugging it tight as she leaned against his shoulder. harry's heart broke at the way the blonde held onto him almost for dear life as she held in her tears. amos diggory had pulled stella out of the school immediately, she wasn't going to be finishing the rest of this term. harry knew he was basically all she had left regarding super close freinds at the school.

"today, we acknowledge..." dumbledore began slowly, and harry could feel alyras grip on his arm tighten and his heart broke further for the girl, "a really terrible loss. cedric diggory was, as you all know... exceptionally hard-working... infinitely fair-minded... and most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend." alyra let out a choked sob as she buried her face in the side of harry's arm, "now, i think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. you see... cedric diggory was murdered... by lord voldemort!"

alyra looked up at harry with a sad look in her eyes, and harry pulled his arm from her grasp and wrapped it around her, pulling the crying girl in close to himself

"the ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this. but not to do so i feel would be an insult to his memory." dumbledore spoke further, "now, the pain... we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me— reminds us. —while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. in light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. remember that, and cedric diggity will not have died in vain. you remember that. and we'll celebrate a boy who was... kind and honest and... brave and true right to the very end."

______

HARRY AND ALYRA SAT on harry's bed in his dorm room, alyra had been trying to help him to pack his things but, harry knew something was off with her and made her sit down with him, noticing the girls weird breathing patterns and reared up eyes, "lyra, darling, breathe." he held onto her hands and looked into her eyes as her breathing quickened and her chest rose and fell in quick gasps that she couldn't control. harry had seen her like this only once before, on the train in the beginning of the year because of the words of her father, "breathe."

"i- i—" she tried but all that came out were sobs as she leaned in to harry, holding on tight to the tshirt he wore while he rubbed her back lightly, his smooth touch on her back making her breathing slowly balance itself out, "i miss him. and i miss stella."

"i know, darling," he kissed the top of her head as the door to his dorm opened, "i know."

alyra stayed crying tucked into his arms and he continued to rub small calming circles on her back as dumbledore walked into the room, harry's eyes went wide as he looked from the headmaster and back to alyra thinking he'd yell about her being in the dorm.

"professor—" harry was about to apologize for sneaking the girl into the room but dumbledore just shook his head, dismissing the words he knew he was about to say as he looked at the sobbing malfoy girl in harry's arms

"i never liked these curtains." alyra picked her head up, looking at the headmaster through teary eyes, but her head stayed rested against harry as dumbledore motioned to some curtains near the beds in the dorm, "set them on fire in my fourth year. by accident, of course." dumbledore walked slowly towards the couple, sitting on the opposite end of the bed from him, "i put you in terrible danger this year, harry. i'm sorry."

"professor..." harry spoke quietly, he was still rubbing alyras back as he spoke to dumbledore, which made some sort of a warm and almost happy feeling go through the headmaster at the couple, "when i was in the graveyard, there was a moment, um... when... voldemorts wand and mine sort of connected."