29 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ friends and foes

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌘 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

twenty-nine

'The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌘 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

PAUL

(Y/N)'s head remains resting on my shoulder as I steady the thopter to fly through a valley, canyon walls enclosing us on either side for a brief moment as we head out into the open desert.

Mother's shaky breathing catches my hearing, but I keep pushing forward, ignoring the feeling of my wife's hot breath fanning over my neck every second.

It's a comforting feeling, and yet it makes me want to distract myself and plant another kiss on her head.

So I do.

And I can sense that a smile has broken from her tense expression; her gaze is locked onto me like a puppy looking at its owner.

It's endearing.

"There are jet flares behind us," Mother says, startling (Y/N) as she looks at the other mirror, muttering a curse.

"Three. Far back, but they're chasing."

With a slam to the power arm as it shoots forward, I send the ornithopter into the storm.

It's our only shot if we want to live.

Ahead of us lies the sky-high wall of sand, rust-colored and dangerous.

I bank a hard right, feeling my wife's arms encircle around my torso like a protective shield, driving me to push the thopter into what could be our deaths.

The alarms suddenly wail and whine, and I realize we've got company.

Tracking missiles.

Mother grabs the side of the window as I lead us closer and closer to the storm.

"Paul! We're not high enough!"

Altimeter says 3000 meters and climbing.

She's right. But for the sake of our lives, we're going into that storm.

The missiles follow as sand engulfs us. One by one, the missiles explode from a collision, and yet one of the explosion radius' hits us, causing me to gasp and grip the handles tighter to not let go.

Don't hold her yet; keep going, I remind myself.

And I know one thing: The woman in my arms is going to live.

And so will my mother.

The glass starts to shatter and the engine rumbles. Visibility has dropped to zero.

"I must not fear," Mother whispers as I try to scan the area ahead, but my line of sight barely reaches the glass. There's nothing but sand. "Fear is the mind-killer."

Her words suddenly fade, like I might pass out.

"Fear is the little death that brings obliteration..."

Everything suddenly stops, and all that remains is light. There's no sound, and I can barely feel (Y/N)'s arms anymore.

"See the friend..."

Voices whisper around me and the light clears to reveal a dark-skinned Fremen.

Who is he?

"See the friend."