A Birth

(Luisas POV)

The last couple months have been some of the most stressful of my life, a little from the border, a little from Hellbores, but mostly from the baby, and I can't even imagine how Alana must feel, she must be so stressed, but she always seems so happy and relaxed, an it was hard not to be happy when she was.

right now I was doing chores while Alana was relaxing back at casita, she was almost 9 months into her pregnancy so she stayed at home almost all the time now, an I tried to be there as much as I could , but that wasn't very much, border checks were daily for me now and they took a lot of time, taking longer if something was there which was the case at least 30 percent of the time.

I had finished my border check for today and was rounding up donkeys, the sun had long since left the sky and the moon had just barely risen, but if I finished right now then it would be an early finish, the townspeople were trying to give me less work because of the baby but with border checks they were taking longer than ever.

I finally caught the last donkey and looked around to see if anything else needed doing, but luckily it looked like everyone had gone to bed or was getting ready for it so I ran up to casita, anxious to see my esposa, and I entered to see her and the rest of my family sitting down to eat, so I made my way to the table while abuela addressed me

"Luisa, it's nice to see you at the table for once, it almost feels like you've been avoiding us"

I knew it was supposed to be a joke but her emotionless tone made me think otherwise

"sorry abuela, the border checks take a lot of time, that plus all my regular chores-"

"I didn't ask for excuses, I just want you to be on time for dinner now on"

I gritted my teeth "yes abuela"

I sat down beside Alana and started eating, I really tried my best to be here every night but chores took up all my time now, so I finished eating, then waited for Alana to finish, and we went upstairs to bed, I really wanted to carry her up but she insisted she would be fine walking by herself.

we took a shower before going to bed, and when we climbed under the covers she turned to me, whispering "Lu, feel it, it's kicking" and she guided my hand to her belly and I smiled as I felt small kicks against it, and she continued

"d'you think it will be a boy? or a girl?"

"I don't know, but i'll love them either way"

she giggled an put her head on my shoulder, soon softly snoring, and I was quick to follow, getting a good nights rest for the first time in a long while.

when I woke up it was early, before the sun had risen actually, and I wasn't sure why, something felt different but I wasn't sure what it was, so I decided to just get an early start on chores, I kissed Alana on the cheek an headed down to the table, I would have to miss breakfast but hopefully I would make it back for dinner.

I tried to finish the border check as quickly as possible, hoping nothing would be there, and luckily it seemed to be clear, so I headed back into town and saw the donkeys had got out again, so I rounded them up and decided this time I could try to fix the fence, maybe save me some trouble in the future, but the fence didn't seem to have anything wrong with it

"how do the donkeys keep getting out? this fence seems solid" I was talking to myself when I heard a shout behind me

"LUISA!"

"Mirabel?"

I turned to see her running at me full speed and I caught her in my arms

"whats wrong?! are you hurt?"