Side Story : The Car Ride

The summer vacation of college students was so early.

I thought as I stared at my older brother, who had entered the house carelessly. My older brother, who came to his own room at the end of June, had been in low spirit for some weeks. He was looking for everything, making a fuss, and packing before leaving the house for a few days, going on a trip, and then returning a day later, and he was suddenly angry with his eyes glaring at me. Anyway, even though we had lived together our entire lives, I couldn’t understand his personality.

As a result, when I went home, I was trapped in my room like a mouse and forced to study. While I was on the phone with Tay, my older brother suddenly opened the door and discovered that I hadn’t studied. He began cursing at me, shouting, ‘what the fuck are you doing, why the fuck aren’t you studying?’ I didn’t think it was that far when he commuted to college from home, but after he moved out on his own, his personality became more bizarre.

Just like that my precarious life continued as if walking on a single rope.

I got up early to get ready for school. It became hotter by the day. It felt like yesterday that I took the national combined academic evaluation in June, but it was already July. Final examinations were almost approaching. It was an even more important test for me. It was also the last test for me, who would go to college.

Meanwhile, I’ve maintained a consistent grade, and my grades have improved in 2nd grade compared to 1st grade, and 3rd grade compared to 2nd grade, so if I performed well this time, I could go to the college I wanted. I couldn’t attend the same college as my older brother, who studied well, but I was able to attend a nearby college.

“Good morning…”

My plan to greet my mother after getting ready for school fell through. Instead of my mother, my older brother was watching TV with his arms on the armrests of the sofa and his legs crossed. His complexion was uglier than usual, with a lot of black circles below.

Still, the only thing worth looking at was his face…

What’s wrong with him?

Even if I didn’t want to care, and whether I hated him or not, I couldn’t help myself because he was a family member. My older brother, who was watching television, gradually turned to look at me. His long lashes, which stretched under his wide eyes, cast a roof-like shadow.

“Good morning.”

My older brother said in a voice that didn’t sound like a good morning at all.

“Yeah…”

“…”

“… Oh, I have to eat breakfast.”

I pretended not to know, went to the kitchen, and sat at the table. I was having a hastily made breakfast when I heard the TV being turned off.

Gradually… The footsteps approached me. I feigned not to notice and kept eating as if I was going to stick my nose in the rice bowl, but the chair across from me had been pulled. As a shadow fell in front of me, I forcibly lifted the corners of my lips and lifted my head.

“I’ll take you to school.”

“No, it’s okay…”

“Did he come to pick you up?”

I nodded in response to my brother’s question without a subject.

“Yeah.”

“I’ll take both of you.”

“Oh…”

No way, I don’t want to. I was embarrassed… But looking at my brother’s expression, I couldn’t say anything. Family is always family. My older brother stopped speaking and stood up as if there was nothing else to see. Then he rapidly vanished from my sight. I took my phone from my pocket and messaged Tay.