Side Story : The Visit

Tay walked sullenly with his hands in his pockets. I was clutching my bag strap. I let go of the strap’s grip and intertwined my fingers with his. As expected, it was hot today. I wondered when summer would end, but I wished it would not. After summer vacation, I will begin applying for early admission, and the GAT will be right around the corner.

My last summer as a teen.

Even though there must be many more days ahead, it was quite meaningful. I peeked at him, keeping an eye on Tay. He turned slightly toward me in response to the question I had just asked. Our gazes locked, and I quickly averted his gaze.

“Tomorrow?”

“Yeah. But if you are not comfortable…”

‘Phi asked that I bring you to our house tomorrow to study. Do you want to study at my house?’ I had said that. However, I was just about to add that you don’t have to come because it could be burdensome.

“It’s fine.”

Tay responded softly. I didn’t want to be excited or wrinkle my impressions of the burden, but there was also no surprise.

“My parents aren’t here. And he said he’d come on Sunday because he was going to play today.”

“Ah.”

“Your brother might not have even been in the house…?”

Nope. I had no idea why my brother was leaving. When he was in school, he didn’t even go home, acting as if he didn’t have a home at all, but as soon as vacation began, he crawled back into the house and made all sorts of fuss at night.

Despite his fiery personality, there were no issues, so it was somewhat regrettable that he had recently become like this. Was it difficult to live alone? He said he would bend his arms inward no matter how much he hated him, and my older brother was exactly like that. In fact, he was prone to perfectionism, so I had never seen him so distracted. When he was sensitive, he was picky. It was difficult to adapt.

“… I don’t know.”

“I don’t care. Even if your parents are around.”

“Okay…”

Tay grabbed my wrist just as we were about to pass a convenience store. I leaned over and got caught while walking one step ahead of him. He shifted his gaze to the convenience store.

“New Thitipoom.”

“Yeah?” I wondered when he would stop calling me by my full name. But then again, I was used to it already.

“I’ll buy you some freeze bar.”

“Hmm… This early?”

“Yeah. It’s hot.”

Then he waved the fan he was holding in front of my face. It was really hot.

“Can I have something other than ice cream?”

“Do as you please. Eat whatever you want.”

“I don’t eat that much.”

I have a small mouth compared to my peers, and Tay laughed when I spoke loudly

“You eat everything without leaving any leftovers these days.”

It was clear that Tay was nurturing me.

~

Ding-Dong.

The doorbell rang. When I approached the intercom, I noticed Tay on the screen. I opened the doors for him. My mouth was dry and I was thirsty. It wasn’t a big deal, but it was his first visit to our house.