Chapter 27 - Geldkrieg

"ACHTUNG!" Serina shouted, and the Imperial Guard clicked their heels and saluted. Tran and Varagwen gulped as the guard stood to attention. "This way, please." Serina ordered as she led them inside the massive gates of the palace. When they all went inisde the entire maid and footman staff bowed their heads towards the distinguished guests and then, his jackboots thundering down the grand staircase in his blue and red uniform, came the Kaiser accompanied by Ida and Felix.

"Lord hand, it has been too long." Wilhelm greeted warmly, shaking Tran firmly by the hand.

"Indeed it has, my Kaiser. Thank you for sending your forces that allowed us to escape Persia." Tran thanked, and Wilhelm smiled. "May I introduce my wife, Varagwen."

"A pleasure." Wilhelm greeted and bowed his head slightly.

"My Kaiser, me, and my husband come with valuable information that includes Darrian's plans to hinder the German Empire." Varagwen reported.

"We best head upstairs then." Wilhelm said.

"Please, this way." Felix asked gently, and everyone headed into one of the sitting rooms upstairs. Wilhelm and felix sat down on a couch while Luke and Serina flanked them on either side. It had been two and a half years since Wilhelm was exiled, and he was twenty-two years old, but he was eager to consolidate Germany's power. Wilhelm hoped that the intelligence that Tran and Varagwen had brought would help match Perisan policies.

"So please, what information do you both come with?" Wilhelm asked.

"Well, what I'm about to tell you came from the last meeting I chaired with Darrian. My wife was also in attendance. He mainly plans to wage and economic war too but also intends to weild his weapons of money and espionage." Tran evaluated.

"First, Darrian wants to lower trade tariffs to Germany quite susbtantially." Varagwen said.

"Lower trade tarrifs? How would that be bad for Germany?" Felix, the Imperial Chancellor, asked.

"As our Kaiser knows," Luke explained, "the lowering of Persian tarrifs would also reduce prices and put German jobs at risk due to the cheaper, Persian substitute." Felix nodded in understanding. The chancellor did not truly understand the economy as well as Luke, but that is why he had a cabinet.

"Please continue." The Kaiser asked politely.

"Darrian also plans to send one of his sailing ships to the Prussian coast and drop off some of his spies. I also heard that he already had agents inside the empire already." Varagwen then said.

"I see." Wilhelm sighed as he put his hand over his eyes in frustration. Wilhelm knew that you had to be ruthless to root out spies. He needed a secret police.

"Finally," Tran stated, "Darrian is planning to hire mercenaries and pirates from the Malmond Mercenary State. Either to soften Germany up or to bolster their own forces, but I suspect that it is probably the former reason."

"I thought Persia was broke and dry of funds after they scammed their neighbours?" Serina asked, standing beside Ida.

"When the Empire is dry of cash, Darrian always resorts to one method: tax the poor." Tran stated. What followed was the sound of collective moans of frustration and cringe.

"This is not how you run a country." Wilhelm sighed in disappointment.

"What do you plan to do?" Varagwen asked desperately.

"Felix and Ida, take notes, please." Wilhelm asked and on command both took their pens and notepads and held them at the ready. "I propose a three point plan. First, we shall raise Tarrifs in response to Persian competition. Quotas shall be placed on Persian food, so prices maintain the same. No tarrifs shall be placed on iron imports, though, as if Persia wants to help us build our new battleships and other weapons, they are welcome too. Secondly, I will form two new institutions to combat Persian espionage. I will also contact the Kriegsmarine and send a U-Boat to torpedo the ship that houses the Persian spies." While the Germans, by now, knew about the U-Boat programme Tran and Varagwen did not. However, they kept their confusion to themselves. "Finally, I shall delay the mercenaries from the Malmond Mercenary state by sending UC-1 uboats to lay mines around the Malmond island. This will delay pirates ferrying mercenaries to Persia."