Confessions, Date and Time (HS)

A few weeks had passed since Uno Winter and Denise Star had become friends. Their bond had grown stronger, with Uno helping Denise relax from her rigorous studies and Denise offering academic support to Uno. Both sets of friends noticed the change and often teased them about it.

One Friday afternoon, Denise sent Uno a text asking him to meet her in the school courtyard. He felt a flutter of anticipation as he walked through the bustling school hallways toward the courtyard.

When Uno arrived, he saw Denise standing under a large oak tree, nervously twirling a strand of her hair. She looked up and smiled when she saw him approaching.

"Hey, Denise," Uno greeted her, his heart pounding slightly. "What's up?"

"Hey, Uno," she replied, her voice a bit shaky. "Thanks for coming. I... I needed to talk to you."

"Sure, what's on your mind?" Uno asked, concerned but curious.

Denise took a deep breath. "Uno, these past few weeks have been amazing. Getting to know you has been one of the best experiences I've had in a long time."

"Same here, Denise," Uno said, smiling warmly. "You're an incredible person."

"Thanks," Denise said, blushing. "The thing is... I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I realized something important."

Uno's eyes widened slightly, sensing the gravity of the moment. "What is it, Denise?"

"I... I really like you, Uno," she confessed, her voice trembling. "More than just as a friend. I've been trying to figure out if I should tell you, but I couldn't keep it to myself anymore. I understand if you don't feel the same way, but I had to be honest with you."

Uno felt a rush of emotions, taken aback but also filled with warmth. He took a step closer to Denise, his gaze locking with hers.

"Denise," he began softly, "I had no idea you felt this way. But I'm glad you told me because... I like you too. A lot."

Denise's eyes sparkled with relief and joy. "Really? You're not just saying that?"

"I'm serious," Uno said, reaching out to take her hand. "You're smart, kind, and you make me want to be a better person. I've never met anyone like you."

Denise squeezed his hand, her smile widening. "I can't believe this is happening. I was so worried I'd ruin our friendship."

"You could never ruin it," Uno assured her. "If anything, this makes it even better."

Just then, they heard a chorus of voices approaching. Their friends, noticing the duo's absence, had come looking for them. Lance Summer and Angelo Jackson led the charge, with Matt Spring, Maury Miles, Meric Powers, Matthew Porter, Tristan Norris, Marshall Andrews, Arkin Potter, and Lorenzo Shelby close behind.

From the other side, Denise's friends—Jada Johnson, Avva Patrick, Olivia Hamilton, Kate Stevens, Dara McCartney, Jea Lewis, Zoey Belfort, Acel Scotts, and Patricia Armstrong—approached with curious expressions.

"Hey, what's going on here?" Lance called out, grinning.

"Did we interrupt something?" Jada added, raising an eyebrow.

Uno and Denise exchanged a glance, then turned to face their friends, still holding hands.

"Actually, you did," Uno said, unable to hide his smile. "Denise just told me she likes me, and I feel the same way about her."

There was a moment of stunned silence, followed by cheers and laughter.

"About time!" Angelo exclaimed, clapping his hands together.