Truth and Lies

I apologize for the delay in my updating schedule. My crappy computer which is like 25 years old just decided to fall apart. It doesn't let me log in anymore, glitches out, and several keys don't work so I cannot type on it lol. So until I get a new computer I have to write off of my phone so please be patient with me and the slow updates. Anyways enjoy the chapter.

________________________________________________________________________________

Emily POV:

When I got home I did my best to not slam the front door behind me. A million emotions and thoughts were running through my head and I need to process them before I even think about saying anything to Tatum. Now that I know what happened, I can't help but remember the night I came to her house to confront her that summer. I remembered how at first she wouldn't even speak to me. She just sent me texts from her room. I remembered how broken her voice sounded when she finally spoke.

"I-I-I c-can't b-be with y-you any-m-more."

"W-we j-j-j-just c-can't."

"I c-can't t-tell you th-this."

Back then I had just assumed that she was stuttering because of how hard she was crying but now I know that she was stuttering because she damaged her vocal chords. A year and a half Hannah said it took for Tatum to get better. That means that she only just started speaking normally again the summer before my senior year.

That explains why she avoided me and never really spoke around others. Come to think about it, I can't even recall a time where she spoke to anyone besides at lacrosse tryouts when she saved me from getting nailed in the head with a ball. She's become much more quiet and soft spoken than I remembered her. I guess I never really questioned it until now.

"Em is that you?" My mom called from the living room, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah." I replied as I kicked off my shoes and dropped my keys into the key drawer.

"Why don't you come sit with us on the couch and tell us about your day with Hannah?" My mom suggested.

"Actually mom I'm feeling a bit tired. I think I'm just going to shower and head to bed." I replied as I walked over to the living room. My mom and dad both looked at me from the couch as if they were trying to read my emotions.

"Alrighty then. Good night." My dad said.

"Good night." I replied with a soft smile as I turned to head up the stairs. I barely made it two steps when my mom called after me again.

"Hey Em?"

"Yes mom?" I asked.

"Tatum came by looking for you earlier." My mom stated. I froze in my spot on the stairs.

"She did?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah she said she had something to tell you but I told her you weren't home yet. I told her she could stop by tomorrow but she said she's working." My mom explained.

"What time did she come by?" I asked.

"About half an hour ago maybe? As she was leaving she said something about calling Hannah." My mom added. My heart plummeted. Did Tatum come here to tell me what happened? I took a deep breath and cleared my throat.

"Okay thanks mom. I'll text her to see what's up." I replied.

"Alright good night honey."

"Night mom." I replied before running up the stairs, nearly tripping on a couple of steps. As I got to my room I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I pulled it out to see a text from Tatum.