Chapter 29 - Secret uncovered

The person was coming closer and closer to them, pulling out a machete. Oh, not good. Very not good!

Wren wasn't good at negotiations. And without their powers the fight will be hard.

"Let the dragon go, and I won't resist!" They knew they looked very desperate. They knew no one would listen.

The person with the machete was now getting too close. They raised their weapon- wait. Isn't it Lloyd's machete? Was he captured too? Or did this person find it on the ship?

"Hey, it's me, Lloyd." They heard a whisper. Oh, so the person was LLoyd. Okay. But why was he here?

"We've come to rescue you." Okay, but where were the rest of the kids? Were they safe?

In that moment three figures jumped down from the stands and fought their way through the crowd to get to Lloyd and Wren.

One of them turned around and, upon realizing just how many opponents were circling them, shouted "Okay, now would be a good time to use your cool dragon powers!"

Oh no. The kids had no plan. Wren sighed and confessed "I can't. They put vengestone cuffs on me." The rest seemed very surprised by their statement.

"Vengestone blocks your powers too?!"

-

So, yeah, that's how they all found themselves in that same cell Wren was occupying before the fight.

"I can't believe we made a plan that failed so miserably!" Jay lamented, still not quite over this whole 'blocking powers' situation.

"Can you stop whining? We have to figure out an escape plan." Livinia's frustration manifested in growling and anger rather than cries and sobs.

"Do you think Lloyd could blast those bars away with his power?" Harumi pointed at the window. Despite being kidnapped and imprisoned for the first time (Wren really hoped it actually was her first time) she was taking things really well. Or internally panicking for so long that she's gone into a state of nihilism already.

"Dunno. We can try." Lloyd seemed to grasp any distraction he could. It certainly wasn't his first time being kidnapped but it only meant he knew the horrors.

The green ninja stood up from the floor, where he was drawing something in the sand and dust covering the stone, and took a few steps up to the small window.

He adopted a stance and charged his attack. A second later green light smashed into the bars, disfiguring them. Well, it wasn't a flop.

"Hey, is it possible for you to get rid of my cuffs? Then I could get us all out." Wren asked. They knew they were risking probably chemical burns, but it was their only hope.

Lloyd grabbed their wrists and concentrated his energy. The green light was blinding and Wren felt like their hands and forearms were being burnt and chipped away bit by bit. It stung in a painful, weird way. It felt like their arms were being frozen and boiled all at once.

As much as they were good at ignoring and hiding pain, this was a torture straight out of the ancient Rome.

They shut their eyes and bit on their lip, just to stop themself from shouting out.

And then the feeling stopped.

They opened their eyes, realizing that tears were running down their face. The cuffs were off.

They stood up, not even bothering to swipe away the teardrops and drew their bag from the pocket dimension.

This earned them a few shocked gasps. "How did you do that?"