34 • Blood Malediction

Professor Snape had barely just taken my hand into his when he was interrupted from answering me. Heavy lines etched between his brows as he yelped forward in pain, a low growl slipping past his lips as he tugged his arms under his chest.

«Leave», he hissed then, and a previous moment in his chamber came flooding back to me.

So, the fact I had just tried to seduce him, and most certainly managed to do so, was quickly forgotten. Confusion filled me instantly, as well as worry.

«Are you okay?», I asked and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, to which he only flinched away from.

Another painful groan came from him as he stood up straight, clutching his arm. I wondered if he'd been hurt again without my knowledge. Which, including the incident by the boat house at the beginning of the year, would be the third time I'd seen it happen — and three times I never really knew the truth.

«Leave», he hissed and pointed to the door.

It was when I looked into his eyes that my heart shattered. I had never seen him in such a state. He seemed frightened.

And so it triggered my flight response.

However, as the professor had clutched to his arm, the sleeve of his cassock had rolled up, and out peeked a curled line of black. I wasn't sure whether my eyes were playing games with me, but it seemed to only strengthen in colour.

«Severus», I stared at his forearm.

I knew it.

He pulled the sleeve down aggressively and approached me steadily, «you must leave, Leonie. Please trust my choices keeps you alive. You were never meant to get caught up in this», another blow of pain must have rushed through him then as his deep beautiful voice hitched, «please?»

The way he looked at me so pleadingly, and the way he said so little — it said so much.

My eyes watered then, unexpectingly, «don't tell me the rumours are true?», I whispered.

Living blissfully unaware or ignorant was what I'd chosen to do for so long. I didn't touch the Daily Prophet and nor did I care for my father's gossip in his stupid magazine. I didn't much care for the chosen one, or his friends. And so when I heard rumours going from a student to another, I ignored them most of the time. Even this, when they revolved around the dark forces in our magical world.

Magic. I hated it, truly.

Professor Snape clenched his jaw, and instead of replying he nodded towards the door, «trust me, and go».

«Are you safe?», I asked. I needed to know, and maybe that would be all the information necessary for me.

«Yes», he replied in a deep drawl. It came without much contemplation, and so I decided to go.

-

For the first time in my life I tuned into the gossip of Hogwarts. I had never been alert nor needed to be vigilant in the corridors of this school.

My main concern had been to get through. Graduation and freedom was the goal. And honestly, Blaise had always been a great distraction. My father probably would've killed me if he'd known anything about us, perhaps especially how early it all began. But he had never batted an eye in my direction. Not for that reason, anyway.

What I suddenly found was that many whispered openly, laughed and talked among themselves — without a care as to who listened.

Perhaps I hadn't been the only one so occupied with myself I forgot what was around me, or... chose not to see it.