Chapter 54: Li Gang's goal

A nameless Small World, Ethereal Sect, Ethereal Peak Territory, Central Continent

A young man was standing over a tall mountain with his eyes covered with eye masks. He possessed bow in his hand, and 20 arrows in his quiver. Few miles away, there are 20 birds, with small bell tied in their legs. 

The young man aimed at those birds and shot his 20 arrows consequently back to back, and out of 20 arrows, 10 pierced the neck of the bird, 5 pierced their body, 3 pierced the head, 1 grazed through it and 1 missed. 

Ming Chuan glanced at the young man and smiled. "Hao-er, you have improved a lot. Your aim and accuracy has improved in the last few years. Not just that, even your range has increased."

Li Gang removed his eye cover and bowed towards him. "It's all thanks to you, Hall Master. I learnt a lot in last few years."

Ming Chuan nodded with satisfaction. He said deeply. "Sect Master wants to meet you. It is about time that you should spread your wings even further. I have taught you everything that should be taught to you. If you want to go beyond, you have to practice the methods I provided to you and work hard as you have been doing."

Li Gang nodded.

They left the small world, and soon went towards one of the mountain. This is where the Sect Leader of Ethereal Sect reside. 

As soon as they entered, they saw Su Zun was sitting over a large chess board. He was glancing at it's positions.

Su Zun noticed their arrival and said lightly. "Hao-er, come! Sit over here."

Ming Chuan also sat nearby. He is a trusted companion of Su Zun, and so, Su Zun doesn't mind Ming Chuan listening to their conversation.

Su Zun waved his hand and the entire Go Chess board became empty. He then glanced at Li Gang and said lightly. "Let's have a game. I also want to talk to you about some things."

Li Gang nodded. 

It was a 500 by 500 chess board. They were sitting together, and Li Gang was playing with Black pieces. Usually, they give Komi to white players in the current world as they are at disadvantage. However, in this game, Li Gang was playing with black pieces, and Su Zun with white without Komi. He is essentially at disadvantage here.

Li Gang played his first move and said. "What do you want to talk to me, Master."

Su Zun also made his move and said lightly. "Your name is not Zhang Hao, but Li Gang. I don't know why you hid your name in the first place, but I think between master and student, there shouldn't be any secret."

Li Gang wasn't surprised. He knows those in Rank 8s are very shrewd and he should be aware. He continued the game and didn't speak. Though he was slightly baffled at him figuring out his real name.

Su Zun continued. "Even though I didn't teach in last few years, I have seen your hard work. In my experience, I have seen countless geniuses. I have seen countless hard workers. But you are have gone one step beyond them. In reality, you don't possess talent in any field, whether it is Archery, or Cultivation or even Alchemy and Forgery."

"What brought you this far is your Perseverance. Even a hard-working person can never persevere this far. Your hard work defied the talent itself and let you broke your own limit."

Li Gang made another move and let him continue.

Su Zun said. "Tell me one thing. You have already found a way to improve your qualification, haven't you?"

Ming Chuan was shocked at this question. He knows how difficult it is to improve one's qualification. Even he isn't aware of any such methods. He had also suspected, but he never came to such conclusion because of how unrealistic this hypothesis was.