Chapter forty-four

The four of us make our way through to the dining room, me trailing behind as I contemplate on just turning around and running off

I don't even acknowledge Rafe's presence as I sit down in a seat across the table from him, my eyes on my lap as I fidget with a ring on my finger.

"How have you been Annie?" Ward asks me, i reluctantly look up at him, forcing a weak smile on my lips.

"I've been good sir" I lie, because that's the complete opposite of how I've been, but it's not like I'm about to get into a heart to heart with Ward Cameron.

"That's good to hear, sweetheart" he smiles over at me. I can feel Rafe's eyes on me as I speak to his father, making me feel like a bug under a microscope.

The tension at the table is palpable, for a while the only noise to be heard is the sound of everyone serving themselves food from the platter on the table.

I poke my fork around the vegetables on my plate, the absolute last thing I want to be doing right now is eating, especially with Rafe sat barely a few metres from me.

Out of pure curiosity I decide to look up at Rafe, as I do, I notice he's already looking at me. Our eyes meet, and for just a moment, he doesn't look like he wants to kill me. His eyes are fully focused on me, his expression soft.

Neither of us pull our gaze from each other, and it seems as if everything around us has stopped, the air going almost uncomfortably still.

For a second I swear the only two people to exist are me and him.

My heart skips a beat, my stomach unconsciously erupting into butterflies despite my best efforts not to feel this way about him.

The irrational part of my brain goes into overdrive, trying to force me to think that maybe, just maybe, Rafe isn't so bad.

Maybe we could work through our problems, maybe he'll get better.

I'm aware this is bullshit, I know I crave his love, and for some stupid reason, sometimes I'm willing to put myself through hell for it.

I come to my senses, reminding myself that Rafe is the worst thing for me, even if I wish it wasn't true.

I look away from him, focusing my attention back on my still untouched plate of food.

After a not so pleasant hour or so, dinner is finally over, and I couldn't be more glad. My dad walks Rafe and Ward to the foyer, with me slowly traipsing behind.

They say their goodbyes, with me uttering a halfhearted "bye" as I watch Ward open the front door.

I go to turn on my feet to make my way to my bedroom, when I hear the sounds of wind strong enough to knock a person over, paired with rain splashing down onto the concrete outside, so loud I can hear it from in here.