Silent Struggles

The Thestral-drawn carriages rolled steadily towards Hogwarts, the castle's familiar towers and turrets rising majestically against the darkening sky. Bellarose felt a mixture of relief and excitement as they approached the school. Despite the trauma she had endured, Hogwarts always felt like a second home.

The carriages came to a halt, and students began disembarking. Bellarose joined the throng moving towards the Great Hall, her friends close by her side. The chatter of returning students filled the air, punctuated by laughter and greetings. She exchanged smiles and nods with fellow Hufflepuffs, feeling a sense of belonging amidst the chaos.

As she made her way through the crowd, Bellarose spotted Cedric Diggory. He was helping some first-year Hufflepuffs find their way. When he saw her, his eyes widened in shock at the sight of the scar on her face.

"Bellarose," Cedric said, concern etched on his face. "What happened to you?"

Bellarose forced a smile, trying to downplay the severity of the incident. "It's a long story, Cedric. Let's just say the Quidditch World Cup wasn't all fun and games."

Cedric reached out, his hand moving towards the scar. "Can I. . ." he started, but as his hand approached her face, Bellarose flinched instinctively, stepping back.

Cedric froze, his expression shifting to one of regret and apology. "I'm sorry, Bellarose. I didn't mean to—"

"It's okay," she cut him off, forcing a weak smile. "I appreciate your concern, really. But I have to go."

With a supportive nod from Cedric, Bellarose continued into the Great Hall, her heart still racing from the encounter. As she took her seat at the Hufflepuff table, she didn't notice Pansy looking at her from the Slytherin table, concern etched on her face.

The Sorting Hat sat atop its stool, ready to sort the new students. The first years looked both excited and nervous as they awaited their turn. After the Sorting Hat sang its song, the new students were sorted into their respective houses, and the feast began. Platters of delicious food appeared on the tables, and the hall filled with the sounds of clinking cutlery and lively conversation. Bellarose enjoyed the delicious food, her spirits lifting as she chatted with her friends.

As they ate, Bellarose noticed Luna and Ginny at the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor tables, respectively. Luna gave her a dreamy wave, while Ginny offered a warm smile. Bellarose returned their gestures, feeling grateful for their friendship.

Partway through the feast, Dumbledore stood, and the hall gradually quieted down. His eyes twinkled as he addressed the students. "Welcome, welcome to another year at Hogwarts! This year promises to be full of excitement and challenges, as we host a very special event—the Triwizard Tournament."

A buzz of excitement ran through the hall at the mention of the Tournament. Bellarose exchanged curious glances with her friends, wondering what this year would bring.

Dumbledore continued, "For those of you who do not know, the Triwizard Tournament brings together three magical schools, Hogwarts, Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, and Durmstrang Institute. It is a competition that tests the courage, intellect, and magical prowess of its champions."

The students listened with rapt attention as Dumbledore went on. "In October, we will be welcoming students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. They will be staying with us for the duration of the Tournament, and I trust you will all extend them the warmest of welcomes."

Bellarose's curiosity was piqued at the thought of meeting students from other magical schools. She wondered what they would be like and what kind of challenges the Tournament would entail.

Dumbledore's expression grew more serious as he continued. "The Triwizard Tournament is a dangerous competition, and only those who are of age will be allowed to participate. The selection of the champions will be made by the Goblet of Fire, which will be placed in the Great Hall for those who wish to enter."

The hall buzzed with whispered conversations as students speculated about who might be chosen to represent Hogwarts. Bellarose felt a mixture of excitement and apprehension, knowing that this year would be unlike any other.

Dumbledore raised a hand for silence and then gestured toward the staff table. "I would also like to introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Alastor Moody."

Bellarose's eyes widened in surprise as she saw the grizzled, scarred face of Mad-Eye Moody. Moody stood, his magical eye whirling as he scanned the students, before giving a curt nod and sitting back down.

Bellarose turned to Anthony, who was sitting beside her. "I can't believe Alastor Moody is our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Anthony grinned. "I know, right? This year is going to be interesting."

As the feast continued, Bellarose found herself momentarily forgetting her worries, caught up in the excitement and joy around her. However, the weight of her recent experiences lingered at the back of her mind, a constant reminder of the dangers that existed even in the magical world.

After the feast, Bellarose walked to her dormitory with Anthony. He noticed the distant look in her eyes and gently nudged her. "Hey, you alright?" he asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

"Yeah, just... a lot on my mind," Bellarose admitted, trying to keep her tone light.

Anthony gave her a reassuring smile. "I get it. But remember, you're one of the strongest people I know. You've got this."

"Thanks, Anthony. That means a lot," Bellarose said, feeling a bit of the weight lift off her shoulders.

"Anytime. And if you ever need to talk or just need someone to listen, I'm here," he offered.

"I appreciate it," Bellarose replied, grateful for his support.

Later that night, Bellarose settled into her dormitory, feeling a sense of comfort in the familiar surroundings. Her bed, with its warm, soft blankets, felt like a safe haven after the long, eventful day. She changed into her pajamas and climbed into bed, drawing the curtains around her for some privacy.

As she lay in bed, her thoughts drifted to the attack at the Quidditch World Cup. She traced the scar on her face with her fingers, a permanent reminder of that horrifying night. The memory of the Cruciatus Curse, the searing pain, and the fear of not making it out alive haunted her.

Sleep did not come easily. When she finally drifted off, the nightmares began. She was back at the campsite, surrounded by Death Eaters. The Cruciatus Curse tore through her, the pain unbearable. She could hear the sinister laughter and see the cruel faces behind the masks. She tried to scream, but no sound came out.

She woke with a start, her heart pounding and her breath coming in ragged gasps. Her hands shook as she wiped the sweat from her brow. Feeling the bile rise in her throat, she quickly got out of bed and made her way to the common bathroom, her footsteps quiet on the cold stone floor.

Once in the bathroom, Bellarose leaned over the sink, her stomach churning. She barely made it to the toilet before throwing up, the physical reaction a manifestation of her lingering fear and trauma. She stayed there for a few moments, gripping the edge of the sink, trying to steady her breathing.

After rinsing her mouth and splashing cold water on her face, she looked at her reflection in the mirror. The scar stood out starkly against her pale skin, a permanent reminder of that night. She felt a wave of anger and frustration but also a determination to overcome the fear that plagued her.

She returned to her dormitory, her legs feeling weak. As she climbed back into bed, the darkness of the dormitory felt suffocating, but the quiet snores of her dorm mates provided some comfort. Bellarose hugged her knees to her chest, willing herself to calm down.

She glanced around the room, seeing her friends sleeping peacefully. It was a stark contrast to her own turmoil. She knew she needed to find a way to deal with these nightmares, but for now, she was just grateful to be awake and safe. She took a few deep breaths, trying to dispel the lingering fear.

As she lay back down, Bellarose vowed to find a way to overcome her trauma. She couldn't let the past control her. She needed to be strong, not just for herself, but for her friends who depended on her. With that thought, she closed her eyes, hoping for a more peaceful sleep, and drifted off once more into an uneasy rest.