The Ferret and the Curse

The first morning at Hogwarts dawned crisp and clear. Bellarose felt a mixture of excitement and trepidation as she joined her friends in the Great Hall for breakfast. The chatter of students filled the air, a buzz of excitement about the new school year and the Triwizard Tournament.

As they made their way to the first Defense Against the Dark Arts class of the year, Bellarose couldn't shake the feeling of unease. She remembered seeing Alastor Moody with Nymphadora on several occasions, and he had always been gruff but fair. The sight of him at the feast last night, with his magical eye constantly whirling, had left her feeling unsettled.

The corridor outside the classroom was crowded with students, all eager to meet the infamous Mad-Eye Moody. As they waited for the class to begin, a commotion erupted nearby. Bellarose turned to see Draco Malfoy sneering at Harry Potter, his usual malicious smirk plastered on his face.

"You think you're so special, Potter," Draco taunted. "But you're nothing without your fame."

Before Harry could respond, Moody appeared at the end of the corridor. His magical eye fixed on Draco, and in a flash, he raised his wand. "You dare to bully others in my presence, Malfoy?" he growled.

With a flick of his wand, Moody transformed Draco into a white ferret. The crowd gasped as the ferret squealed and squirmed, trying to escape. Moody's expression was one of satisfaction as he watched the ferret bounce around.

Bellarose felt a wave of confusion and unease. This didn't seem like the Alastor Moody she knew. He was harsh, but he wouldn't cross such a line. She exchanged a concerned look with Anthony, who seemed equally puzzled.

Professor McGonagall arrived, her face stern. "Professor Moody, what are you doing?" she demanded, swiftly turning Draco back into his human form. "We do not use Transfiguration as a punishment. Five points from Gryffindor."

Moody's face twisted into a scowl, but he didn't argue. Bellarose couldn't shake the feeling that something was off.

The students filed into the classroom, still buzzing about the incident. Bellarose took a seat near the back, trying to make sense of what she had just witnessed. As the class settled down, Moody began his lesson.

"Today, we will be learning about the Unforgivable Curses," Moody announced, his voice gravelly and intense. "These curses are illegal for a reason. They cause immense pain and suffering, and using them will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban."

He began with the Imperius Curse, explaining its ability to control the victim's actions. "Anyone know one? Let's see... you there, Miss Granger."

Hermione answered promptly, "The Imperius Curse."

"Correct. The Imperius Curse can control its victim completely." Moody demonstrated, making a spider dance and twirl under his command. Bellarose watched in horror as the spider moved against its will, her stomach knotting.

Next, Moody moved on to the Cruciatus Curse. Bellarose's heart pounded as he described the excruciating pain it inflicted. "And the next one? Someone else? Ah, Mr. Longbottom."

Neville answered, his voice shaky, "The Cruciatus Curse."

"Correct again. The Cruciatus Curse causes unbearable pain. Let's demonstrate."

Moody raised his wand, and the spider writhed in agony. Bellarose's vision blurred, and the classroom faded away.

She was back at the Quidditch World Cup, surrounded by Death Eaters. The Cruciatus Curse tore through her, the pain unbearable. She could hear the sinister laughter and see the cruel faces behind the masks. She tried to scream, but no sound came out.

"Bellarose?" Pansy's voice cut through the haze. Bellarose didn't respond, trapped in her nightmare. It wasn't until Pansy touched her hand that Bellarose snapped back to reality, gasping for breath. Her eyes were wide with terror, but she still couldn't speak.

Moody's voice droned on, but Bellarose couldn't focus. The memory of the curse was too vivid, too painful. She barely registered Moody moving on to the Killing Curse, the final and most terrible of the Unforgivable Curses. "And the last one... anyone?"

Hermione raised her hand again. "The Killing Curse."

"Right you are. Avada Kedavra. There's no counter-curse, no blocking it. Only one person has ever survived it, and he's sitting right in front of me." Moody's voice was grim as he cast the curse on the spider, killing it instantly.

Class ended, and Bellarose stumbled out of the room, her head spinning. Pansy followed her, worry etched on her face. "Are you okay?" she asked quietly.

Bellarose didn't respond at first, still reeling from the lesson. It was only after a moment that she managed to whisper, "Just... bad memories."

Pansy gave her a sympathetic look but didn't press further. They walked in silence to their next class, Bellarose's mind still reeling from the lesson.

That evening, Bellarose made her way to the first meeting of the Veil Circle. The group gathered in a hidden room deep within the castle, the familiar faces of her friends providing some comfort. Seraphina, their mentor, stood at the front, her calm presence reassuring.

"Welcome back, everyone," Seraphina began, her voice gentle yet firm. "This year, we have a unique opportunity with the Triwizard Tournament. We must decide how we can use this event to further our understanding of magic without compromising our principles."

The group discussed various ideas, from researching ancient spells used in past tournaments to studying the magical creatures that might be involved in the tasks. Bellarose tried to focus, but her mind kept drifting back to the day's events.

Finally, Seraphina turned to Bellarose. "Bellarose, do you have any thoughts on how we should approach this year?"

Bellarose took a deep breath, forcing herself to concentrate. "I think we should look into the magical protections and enchantments used in the tournament. Understanding how they work could help us develop new spells and defenses."

Seraphina nodded thoughtfully. "An excellent suggestion. We will need to be discreet, but I believe we can gain valuable insights."

The meeting continued, and Bellarose gradually found herself more engaged. The camaraderie of the Veil Circle reminded her that she was not alone in her struggles. They were a team, united by their quest for knowledge and their commitment to using magic responsibly.