36. The Smell of Home

Olivia entered the dark apartment and turned on the lights. She had spent so many days not sleeping now that she felt like she was in a daze all of the time. Like none of it was real. She walked over to the kitchen to get some water when suddenly someone appeared "Who is there?!" he jumped out of the corner yelling and holding up a lamp. 

Liv jumped startled and screamed before she realized it was Checo. "Oh my god!" she held on to her chest and breathed in deeply. He also let out a deep breath and put the lamp down.

"Holly shit Liv what are you doing here?!" he asked breathing in, calming down his heart rate as Liv tried to do the same.

"What are you doing here?!" she said still in shock. She thought nobody was at the apartment. 

"I told you I was thinking of coming" he said walking over to her "I wasn't going to leave you alone of course" he said holding her in a tight hug. Liv turned when she heard more footsteps.

"Sergio?" called out Carola.

"It's just Liv" called out Checo.

She heard Carola sigh in relief as she also came into the kitchen. Her pregnant belly was way more noticeable than before. 

"Liv what's going on? What are you doing here? It's 6 am" she said rubbing her eyes.

"Sorry I thought the place was empty" Liv apologized.

"Why did you need an empty apartment Olivia?" asked Checo fearing he already knew the answer. 

Olivia just turned to look at him. It took Checo a second of looking into her dark and puffy eyes as they started to shine from the tears. Without a single word he understood everything and she started crying and threw her arms around his shoulders, burying her face on him as her tears wet his t-shirt. 

"You can stay here as long as you want" he said holding on to her "This is your place too".

Liv barely slept at all, maybe a couple of hours before her eyes were wide open again. Although she didn't move, she stayed frozen on her old bed for maybe an hour or two. At the end she sighed and got up. She had things to do. 

"Hey Liv, there's some breakfast ready for you" said Carola. 

"Thanks but I'm not hungry actually, i'll just have some coffee" she said as she needed something to kill the burning sensation in her eyes from the sleep depravation. 

"I told you" said Checo to Carola quietly "Liv eat something, it's not an option" he said in his most fatherly tone. 

Liv looked defeated as she sat down at the kitchen island and grabbed a waffle. She took one bite and that's when the kids came into the room screaming "Auntie!!" they ran to her. Liv got up and mustered her best smile for them as she opened up both of her arms to hug them.

"Oh my god, it's my favorite people in the world" she said as she held on to them and smiled honestly as she felt comfort with their little arms around her. 

"And Maxie?" asked Carlota looking around.

Liv hesitated for a moment "Maxie is not feeling very well sweetie" she said "He's a little sick".

Carlota's face automatically looked terrified so Liv jumped in "He has a little flu, that's all. He will be okay soon" she lied to comfort her little niece. She kissed her cheek before standing up again "Well this breakfast has been lovely, but I have some things I need to do today" said Liv as she messed with Checo Jr.'s hair and walked to grab her bag. 

"Olivia" called out Checo with the same fatherly tone "You didn't eat".

Liv sighed as she took a napkin and grabbed the waffle with it. She took another bite as she left "I'll be back soon".