39. Collateral Damage

AUGUST

"Are you ready to go back?" asked Checo as they sat on the sand outside his beach house. They watched the sunset as the water from the crashing waves on the shore reached their toes. 

"Not really" she said "But I have to" she shook her head.

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to Liv" said Checo "As much as I love having you there, you don't have to stay if it brings you pain".

Olivia pressed her lips together, trying to distract herself from the pain in her chest, then she shook her head no "I made a promise to my team, I have to go back" she said. The summer break was coming to an end, and it was time for Zandvoort, Max's home race. Although thanks to Checo, she already knew he wouldn't be there.

The following month was better than she expected. Max wasn't back yet and her friends were there for her every single day. 

Almost every day Charles, Carlos or Lewis would make sure to spend time with her after work. They would take her to dinner, or to visit tourist attractions, or Lewis would simply join her on her runs again. It made her feel like she wasn't alone. Like maybe she hadn't lost everything like she had thought. 

"What do you wanna do today Liv?" asked Carlos as he placed his arm around her and they walked down the paddock.

"Maybe we could do karaoke!" said Charles excitedly.

"Karaoke in Japan? I'm in" Liv smiled at them "I'll tell Lewis, he loves karaoke"

"Great idea, maybe he'll pay" joked Charles as Carlos and Liv laughed. 

"You do know you are all millionaires right?" she laughed.

"And we want to stay that way Liv, that's why we want Lewis to pay" joked Carlos with a quick wink.

SEPTEMBER

After racing in Japan, Checo and Olivia flew immediately to Spain. Liv waited with the kids for hours while Carola gave birth to their new sibling. 

She took them to eat something, they played and the kids even napped for a while. 

Once they were finally allowed into Carola's room, Carola was holding this little pink bundle in her arms, Checo stood next to her, a bright smile on both of their faces. The kids rushed to her side of the bed to try and see the baby. They were so excited.

Olivia stood next to Checo with a bright smile on her face as she tried to see the little baby too. 

Carola spoke softly "Everyone" she said slowly, looking at the kids and then her eyes landed on Liv "Meet Olivia".

Olivia stood up straighter as her smile faded and instead her eyes immediately filled with tears. She turned to Checo abruptly without saying a word, as if she was waiting for confirmation. 

He was looking at her with a bright smile and a chuckle "What? I couldn't not name one of my kids after my favorite sister right?"

In a second Olivia threw her arms around his neck and started crying on his shoulder. This were not tears of sadness though, nor anger, this were tears of joy. 

"I love you both so much" she said still holding on to him.

Checo chuckled and stroked her back "We love you too Olivia"  

When she finally raised her head and let go of him, she was smiling brightly as the tears fell from her eyes. She walked closer.

"Do you want to hold her?" asked Carola with a smile.