37. Safe Haven

The next morning she had a text from Max.

MAX

8:47 am

Hey, I know what we said

But yesterday was kind of a lot

I'm sorry Liv, I need more time 

Maybe it's too soon

OLIVIA

8:49 am

I didn't want you to be in pain like that

I understand Max

I'll still be here though

------------------

She got up and took the keys to the Harley, not saying a word to anyone as she went out. She drove for half an hour until she was on the outskirts of the city, back at the bush of lilacs. She laid on the grass and looked up at the sky as the tears rolled down the sides of her face. Everyone she loved kept being taken away from her. Lila, and now Max. It's like she wasn't destined to have a family. Like she was never going to get her happy ending, because every time happiness seemed to be at the palm of her hand, it was ripped away. 

She remembered the night of the elevator, more than a year ago. 

"Damned if we do, damned if we don't" she had said.

"Or just damned" had said Max with a somber look in his eyes.

Maybe he had it right a year ago, maybe they were just damned.

She turned her head to the side, at least she had the lilacs. She would always have the lilacs. It gave her some kind of comfort, some of the strength and resilience her little girl had. 

She heard the engine of a motorcycle and she sat up immediately thinking her Harley was being stolen when she saw a silver motorcycle park next to hers on the dirt road. A man with a black helmet and tattoos on his arms got off his bike. 

Olivia didn't need him to take off his helmet, she knew exactly who it was. In that moment all the anger, all the resentment, all the pain she had kept inside of her for the past week boiled up to the surface. She stood up immediately and started walking towards him, decidedly and fuming. 

He had been texting and calling her for days but she refused to answer. 

"What the hell are you doing here?!" she yelled at him as she took strong steps towards him, her hands in fists while he took off his helmet. 

"Liv I'm so sorry" Lewis' trembling voice rang in her ears.  She could barely see his outline as her eyes were filled with tears that fell uncontrollably down her face. But it wasn't sadness, it was anger. His voice only fueled it "I never thought this would happen I'm.." his words were cut short as Liv reached him and immediately threw back her arm and punched him in the face. Right on his chin. 

He grunted in pain and held on to his chin as Olivia screamed in pain and shook her hand  in the air "AAGH!" she yelled out, holding on to her wrist. She was pretty sure she heard a crack.

"Liv please listen to me I'm sorry" he pleaded.

"Just stop talking! Just stop! I hate you!" she screamed at him, turning back to him and pushing him back "I hate you! You ruined my life! You ruined Max's life! He doesn't remember me! I hate you!" she kept screaming as she kept pushing him back, then her hands turned into fists again as she started hitting his chest over and over as she cried and screamed.