Chapter 45

Lily's POV

The weeks following Finn's birthday party were a blur. The party was amazing until Rachel showed up and kissed Finn. Despite her scheming, Finn had a wonderful time and loved his birthday gifts. The day after his birthday, I could hardly move, a testament to the number of orgasms I had.

Besides that special present, Finn also got me matching earrings to the butterfly necklace he gave me last week. He had given me the necklace as a bribe when I wasn't speaking to him because of the surprise party. I've reminded him that he needs to spend his money wisely – and he's reminded me that spending it on me is wise, I swear he needs to remember he's still a university student.

I filled Kam and Jen in on how much Finn loved his birthday present, and now Jen has dubbed herself the Maestro of Gifts. She has begged Kam to let her get Shawn's presents, insisting they'll be more 'Jen-tastic'—her words, not mine—to which Kam has threatened to block her on socials.

The shrill sound of my ringtone blasts through my room, interrupting my thoughts.

"Hello," I answer, bringing the phone to my ear.

"...is this Ms. Garcia?" the person on the other end asks.

"Yes, this is she," I reply, holding the phone to my ear while struggling to paint my nails.

"My name is Katy, I'm the head of recruitment at Bowman & Laith Partners" she says.

My eyes bulge in surprise—it's the law firm where Joanne's brother works. I had given him my number and sent him my CV, but I didn't think anything would come of it.

"Oh, hi, Katy," I stammer, trying to keep my voice steady. "What can I do for you?"

"Mr Miles, passed on your CV over to me," she says, her tone professional yet warm. "I note you're in your second year at university and we have a space for an internship starting next week."

My heart skips a beat, and I can feel a rush of excitement and anxiety wash over me. "Wow, that's amazing!" I exclaim, trying to sound composed. "I'd love to discuss this further."

"Great! Can you come in tomorrow at 10 AM for an orientation meeting?" Katy asks.

"Yes, absolutely," I reply, my mind already racing with possibilities. "Thank you so much for this opportunity."

After the call ends, I sit back in my chair, feeling a mixture of exhilaration and nervousness. My hands are trembling slightly as I finish painting my nails. I can hardly believe that this opportunity has come my way. An internship at Bowman & Laith Partners!

I open my laptop and initiate a FaceTime call. After a few rings, his face lights up the screen, and I can't contain my excitement.

"Lily are you okay?" he asks, concern evident in his voice.

"Yes, I'm more than okay!" I exclaim. "You won't believe what just happened – I got an internship offer from Bowman & Laith Partners!"

"Christ," he sighs, then laughs. "Baby, you scared the hell out of me." His dark hair is slightly tousled, and he's wearing his favourite grey hoodie.

"Sorry," I pout, admiring my newly painted nails, a deep blue—the colour of Finn's eyes. "I just couldn't contain my excitement." I hold my hand up to the camera to show him. "Check out my nails! They're the same colour as your eyes."

He grins, "They look great, Lily. And I love that colour." His smile widens as he adds, "This is huge, Lily. I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks, Lovebug," I reply, feeling warmth spread through me. "Anyway, have you started packing?" I ask, shifting the conversation.