Chapter 29

It's been a week since Finn's breakdown, and I thought it'd be best for him not to be alone, so I moved in with him – just till school starts resumes and our friends are back.

The days have been a mix of quiet support and gradual healing. Finn has been opening up more and sharing his thoughts and feelings, and I've been there to listen and reassure him. We've spent our time cooking meals together, watching movies, and going on long walks to clear our heads – well, his head, and I just stare at the beauty that is Finn Brooks.

One afternoon, we're sitting on the couch, a movie playing in the background. Finn's head rests on my lap, and I'm absentmindedly running my fingers through his hair. He looks up at me, a soft smile on his lips.

"You know," he starts, his voice thoughtful, "I've been thinking a lot about what you said. About facing things together."

I nod, encouraging him to continue.

"I want to reach out to Mum and Daphne," he says, his eyes meeting mine. "I'm still angry, and I don't know how to deal with all of it, but I feel like I need to at least try."

"That's a big step," I say, my heart swelling with pride for him. "And I'm here for you every step of the way."

He sits up, taking my hands in his. "I know, and I can't thank you enough for that."

"We're in this together," I remind him, squeezing his hands gently.

The next day, Finn decides to call his mum. He brings out a crumpled-up paper and dials the number written on it. I sit beside him for support, holding his hand as he dials the number. His mum answers on the second ring, her voice tentative.

"Hello?"

"Mum, it's Finn," he says, his voice steady but with a hint of vulnerability.

There's a pause, then a shaky, "Finn, hi. I'm so glad you called."

"I've been thinking a lot," Finn starts, glancing at me for reassurance. "I want to meet Daphne. I want to try to understand everything."

His mum's voice wavers with emotion. "Thank you, Finn. That means so much. When can we meet?"

They arrange to meet the following weekend. Finn hangs up, letting out a deep breath, and I pull him into a hug.

"You did great," I whisper, feeling his tension start to melt away.

*******

Finn's POV

When the weekend arrives, Lily and I drive up to meet Mum and Daphne at a park near their home.

My heart pounds with a mix of anxiety and hope. Lily's hand in mine grounds me, giving me the strength I need to face what's ahead.

We walk toward the meeting spot, and I see Mum sitting on a bench, looking nervous. Beside her is a young girl, around eight years old, with wide, curious eyes. As we approach, Mum stands up, her expression a mix of hope and fear.

"Finn," she says softly, reaching out but hesitating.

"Mum," I respond, my voice thick with emotion.

Daphne looks up at me, then Lily, her eyes full of questions. "Are you my brother?" she asks, her voice small but precise.

I kneel down to her level, offering a gentle smile. "Yeah, I am. And this is Lily."

Daphne nods, studying us both. "I've always wanted a big brother."

I smile at her, "Well, you've got one now," I lightly chuckle.

Mum and I spend the afternoon talking, slowly bridging the gaps that years of separation have created.