65

Amara's POV

Amara and Namiko gathered around the kitchen table, a colorful assortment of markers and construction paper spread out before them

Amara and Namiko gathered around the kitchen table, a colorful assortment of markers and construction paper spread out before them. Namiko held a big purple marker, her tongue poking out in concentration as she scribbled on the paper.

"Mama, dis for 'Keem?" Namiko asked, holding up the card she had started.

Amara smiled warmly, leaning over to inspect Namiko's handiwork. "Yes, baby! 'Keem is gonna love it. We gotta make it super pretty for him."

Namiko nodded eagerly, her curly hair bouncing as she resumed coloring. "Pretty! 'Keem happy!"

Amara picked up a yellow marker, joining Namiko in decorating the card. "That's right, sweetheart. We want 'Keem to know how much we care about him."

They worked side by side, Amara helping Namiko stay within the lines and adding little hearts and stars around the edges. Namiko giggled every time Amara drew a smiley face, her tiny fingers tracing the shapes.

"Mama, 'Keem better now?" Namiko asked, looking up with concern in her eyes.

Amara paused, brushing a strand of hair from Namiko's face. "Yeah, baby. 'Keem's getting better every day. He's tough, just like us."

Namiko nodded, her expression serious. "We love 'Keem. He our family."

Amara's heart swelled with pride. "That's right, Namiko. We look out for each other. That's what families do."

Namiko finished coloring the last corner of the card, beaming with satisfaction. "All done! 'Keem love it."

Amara held up the finished card, admiring their handiwork. "It's perfect, Namiko! Now, we'll give it to 'Keem tomorrow and see that big smile of his."

Namiko clapped her hands, her excitement contagious. "Yay! 'Keem smile!"

They cleaned up their art supplies together, Amara feeling grateful for these quiet moments with her daughter. As they prepared for bed, Namiko held onto the card tightly, already eager for tomorrow.

"Mama, 'Keem happy?" Namiko asked once more as Amara tucked her into bed.

"He's gonna be so happy, baby," Amara assured her, kissing Namiko's forehead. "Because he's got you and me, and we love him very much."

Namiko hugged the card close to her chest, her eyes drifting shut. "Love 'Keem. Night, Mama."

"Goodnight, sweetie," Amara whispered, watching over her as she fell asleep, knowing they had shown Hakeem just how much he meant to them.