XLI

Isabel

It had been a a few weeks since Stella and I's anniversary and everything had gone to complete shit. It was like that night was our last night happy before everything came crashing down on us. Stella had to decide on whether she was going to commit to USC or go pro. I knew how hard of a decision it was but I had just wished she would talk to me.

I tried but every time it ended with us getting in a screaming match. I sighed as I threw my hair up in a bun and walked out the door. I was on my way to Chloe's so we could start preparing for spring break which was approaching faster than I expected. By the time I got to Chloe's and sped into her room, it looked like a clothes bomb had gone off.

"What the fuck," I said as I walked in. She looked at me sheepishly and laughed. We spent the next hour packing and listening to music. I was in my world until Chloe spoke up, "So what's up with Stella? She's been in a mood lately. We can all catch that vibe." I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. "She has just been struggling with deciding between college or going pro," I said looking around the room.

Chloe moved to put more things in her bag. "You mean between you or her career," Chloe called out.

I stopped in my tracks. She wasn't wrong and deep down I knew that. I knew Stella's priorities and where they fell especially on hockey. But the last time we talked about what she would do we were still making out in the locker room after practice. Something in me hoped that maybe things had changed, after all, we had changed and maybe so had her dreams.

"Yeah, I guess," I replied sitting on the bed. I was glad Chloe noticed how I felt about the conversation and dropped it quickly. We spent the rest of the night chatting and finishing up both of our packings since we left in less than a week.

As I drove home, I felt my phone buzz in the cup holder. I pulled it out and looked at my notification.

Stella: can we not talk about hockey or college during this trip

Stella:i just wanna have fun baby

Stella: stress-free

Isabel: yes that sounds good

Isabel: im excited my love

Stella: me too baby

And just like that it all felt okay and I was so entirely wrong.

Stella(small time jump)

Monday

I felt a pair of hands shake me awake as the plane landed. Spring break was here, which meant Cancun, and here we are. It was a long flight to be crammed in a middle seat between Isabel and Chloe.

I felt such relief when I was able to stretch my legs and get off the plane. As we met everyone else we got our bags from customs and set out the airport. We had all paid some portion of the trip but Casey's parents paid a bulk of it. They were super loaded and offered so we gave what we could to cover air fees and transportation.

As we exited the airport a large white van waited for us and drove us to our house. We decided a house would be better than a hotel. As we arrived at our house, it looked more like a mansion to me. Everyone was screaming will glee and I was too, to be honest. "When this car stops, and I unlock the door, you better run to get the room you want," Casey said. We all nodded and I turned and looked at Isabel. She put on her game face and already grabbed bags in her hand.