CH- 32 - Meals will be served soon

LIORA

Daran applied for a work and study visa for L.A. for 6 months, determined to cover his own expenses without Mama's or my help. He planned to stay with his good friend Rachel, sharing the apartment costs. And Rachel had already arranged everything for him.

The plan was simple. He would help me get all the answers from Sven, and after dumping him at the right place, I would inform my family that I had broken up with Daran, as I could not focus on my studies and my love life together. The heartbroken Daran then would return to Italy. Simple as pie!

My mama chose a single-occupancy student room for me, wanting me to have privacy. There was also a hint of selfishness in her decision; she hoped that I would call her at night for comfort, just as I had called Caspian when Mama wasn't around. 'My sweet Mama, I love her!' 

She didn't know how long it had been since I'd had a good night's sleep just because I was good at pretending to sleep. Or how much I craved for that peaceful rest to finally embrace me.

We finally boarded the plane after a tearful and dramatic farewell at Rome airport with Mama and Uncle Dane.

It was my and Daran's first time flying, and the experience was nothing but magical. When the aircraft ascended, I experienced a slight pressure in my ears. Looking out the window, the city below transformed into a patchwork, and gradually faded into a sea of clouds.

The flight attendants moved gracefully through the aisles, offering drinks and meals with warm smiles.

Most of the people in the aeroplane looked calm, except me.

My legs bounced restlessly, and I found myself shifting in my seat, unable to find a comfortable position. The tickling sensation spread from my chest to my fingertips, making me feel lightheaded.

Not because I was scared of flying. But the thought of seeing Caspian gave me butterflies. And the rise of excitement within me was impossible to contain, like a thousand tiny electric sparks dancing on my skin, making it impossible to sit still.

'Someone, someone, please hold my heart.' I thought desperately

Daran, sitting beside me, gave me a sidelong glance as if I were a maniac.

"I wonder if it will be you who reveals her own identity to her so-called long-distance boyfriend," he said in his signature sarcastic tone. He even made air quotes with his fingers, splashing cold water on my fiery emotions.

I still could not figure out what his problem was with Caspian.

I shot him a look, "Daran, he has a golden heart. And you will see how kind he is." I told him.

Daran rolled his eyes and leaned back. "Yeah, yeah. Just don't do anything that'll blow your cover before he finds out."

I drew in a deep breath, "I know, I really do. But it's been nine years, Daran. Five years of waiting, of longing. The thought of seeing him again... it's just overwhelming." I tapped my feet in excitement, closing my eyes in anticipation.

I was expecting him to say something... anything but that idiot friend of mine stuffed the ear pods in his ears, put an eye mask on his face, and slept off just like that. Just like that...without saying a word!

I wondered, why we couldn't have a normal human-like conversation whenever I spoke of Caspian. I always wanted us to be open about this conversation.

When Daran would get a girlfriend, I would be excited to hear about her, know her better, and maybe we could go on a trip together, or something. But Daran's cold reactions to Caspian's topics and sarcastic remarks sent my plans down the hill.