CH-53 - The Scariest Prison

Once Liora was out of sight, Donovan dialled Mr. Sohn's number.

"Mr. Sohn," Donovan greeted as the call connected.

"Hello, Mr. Magnum. Did you call to ask for more information about Ms. Liora Valentine?" Mr. Sohn replied in a tone that hinted at his preparedness.

"More information?" Donovan echoed, surprised. Suddenly, everything about Kai's and Logan's behaviour since the fight day started to make sense. He would deal with them later, but first things first. "You're right," he admitted.

"I knew it. That's why I've collected all the information about Ms Valentine at the cost of my life and the vacation I was promised by Mr Rothschild," Mr Sohn complained, mixing humour with seriousness.

"I'll handle it," Donovan said impatiently, eager to hear more about Liora and not this side chatter.

"Ms Valentine lost her father at the age of 10," Mr Sohn continued, shifting into a more sombre tone.

"Her father was brutally murdered by the Gambino family. Since then, Mr. George Glacier took her and her mother under his wing.

The Chairman's men have been keeping an eye on Liora even while she's been in L.A. If I'm not wrong, they're only meant to intervene when things get out of control.

Donovan listened intently, absorbing each word. "Glaciers," he whispered the name under his breath, processing the revelation.

Mr Sohn continued, "Ms. Valentine and her friends have been showing a keen interest in Mr. Decosta, the owner of the café on campus."

Donovan's brow furrowed deeply. "What do you mean, Mr. Sohn?"

"I'm not entirely sure, Mr. Magnum," Mr. Sohn replied, sounding as puzzled as Donovan felt.

"What I do know is that Ms. Valentine, along with her friends Rachel and Daran, have been making visits to the café and his office, frequently following him. The reason is unknown for now. However, I am trying to gather more information on it."

As Donovan started to think deeply, questions swirled relentlessly in his mind. 'Why was Liora so intent on letting that cafe owner go today?' It was clear that her decision wasn't simply about mercy or misunderstanding.

Donovan recalled the drastic change in Liora's appearance. Her new look was more than just a fashion statement; now it felt like a strategic move. 'Is she trying to disguise herself? Was she avoiding recognition from someone—or something?'

"What do you know about the café owner?" Donovan asked, his voice edged with urgency.

Mr. Sohn's tone turned grave. "Mr. DeCosta is involved in more than just his surface-level business dealings. He provides loans to those in need. He's known for extorting excessive amounts of money from those to whom he lends the money and is involved in organ trafficking and the sale of women to rich clients."

A chill ran down Donovan's spine. The café owner's connections to such dark dealings were disturbing enough, but what came next was even more unsettling.

Mr Sohn continued, "Ms Valentine's father's death was linked to a brutal organ harvesting operation. His organs were removed, leaving him dead."

Donovan's calm demeanour shifted abruptly, as a lion roused from slumber, eyes blazing with the intensity of a hungry predator ready for the hunt. 'Was he involved in Liora's father's death? Is this why Liora is doing what she is doing? Playing a dangerous game?'

Donovan's anger was taken to another level just by thinking how the cafe owner cruelly grabbed her arm, sending pain throughout her fragile body.

"Mr Sohn, find out more about the cafe owner and his past. I am more interested in it. With that said, I have another task for you," Donovan said after a moment.