CH-34 - Experiment before Trial

LIORA

Rachel, Daran, and I didn't leave the car; instead, we watched the scene in front of us with wide, disbelieving eyes.

All the females in the residency, each lugging big suitcases, were blonde. Literally blonde! Not one among them had black, red, brown, blue, pink, or any other hair colour—just blonde. Judging by their nervous expressions and hesitant movements, they were all freshers, just like me.

"What the hell is going on?" Daran muttered, his eyes narrowing as he observed the interactions.

"Do you think this is some sort of initiation thing?" Rachel, equally baffled, glanced over at me. "Did you know about this? Is that why you coloured your hair blond? Or is it in trend?" Rachel started to Google.

I shook my head, unable to tear my eyes away from the bizarre tableau. "I have no idea!" I whispered.

I was trying to figure out the situation when a frame caught my attention. I narrowed my eyes only to widen them in shock.

Sven Valentine was leaving the student residence apartment. He had long white hair down to his shoulders and wore golden-framed reading glasses, a white suit, and black leather shoes. His entire attire looked expensive. I could pick him out even among millions of other faces. I have never forgotten his serpentine-skinned face.

I had imagined this moment several times in my head. And yet I couldn't ignore the loud beatings of my heart and the sudden hollowness created in my stomach as if a black hole was trying to swallow me whole.

"What's that serpent (Sven) doing here?" I could not hide my disgust. It was very obvious on my face as I clenched my fingers around the leather seat of the car till my nails turned white.

I wish it was Sven's throat instead of the poor leather seat!

"Who?" asked Daran, his eyes instantly began searching for the person who had caught my attention. Rachel followed my gaze and understood who I was talking about.

She, too, noticed Sven. Hesitance took over her before she decided to answer, turning her neck to look at me.

"He's in charge of the food at residency and cafe at the university." Rachel's gaze remained trained on me, studying me.

By now, Daran understood who we were talking about.

Sven looked happy despite killing his own brother. He was smiling and talking to students after destroying his brother's family. His brother's death didn't bother him at all. He forgot about everything and came here to start his life afresh and seemed quite satisfied, too.

It hurt... it hurt more than words could express. What Mama would have felt if she was here today?

I was glad she didn't get to see this. She would have been crushed from the inside.

I bit my lip harder until it started to bleed, and my nails pierced through the leather. But I didn't care.

Daran kept calling my name, "Liora... Liora... Liora." But my thoughts and eyes were fixed on that deceiving serpent.

How could he wear such expensive clothes after stealing money and throwing us under the bus?

My breathing became shallow as I stared at Sven, who was methodically making his way through the group of freshers, talking to each girl individually.

I considered many punishments; I wasn't sure which was better. But seeing a happy Sven in front of me, my mind was clear. He would regret every minute of destroying my family. He would beg for forgiveness from my papa. I would send him to an asylum. Yes, that would be his punishment!